April 20, 2024, 04:03:45 PM

Re: MOD-USB-RS232 problems

Started by rbots, March 12, 2014, 01:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbots

I understand this message is older, but I just bought this unit, the USB-RS232 converter with uext connector a few days ago, and it appears nothing has been changed. I have written Olimex before about their horrible technical writing and resources needed to even attempt to use their equipment. I have been an engineer for many years and I have never encountered a difficult situation like this w and that addresses all of their equipment. I( suppose I am going to have to go back to the tried and true 8051 with tiny basic to get anywhere because they work and they worked perfectly from the beginning. I still have not gotten this unit to work, and it is a waste of my money, but then again, you get what you pay for. Shame on you, Olimex. This all seems to be scam, and I even wrote Geoff Graham and he told me he could not help me, as well as the fact that all of your documents are circular rhetoric of 404 pages, even Ken Segler. I am very disappointed in your line for all your claims are so jumbled, cryptic and non-existent that I could care less if I can hook an composite ans ps/2 keyboard ( which for the life of me puzzlees me because PS/2 went out years ago. Will you please give me my money back !!!!
Last note I wrote got erased on this forum, and I going to keep at it until someone there is Bulgaria starts an International incident by selling their product at Chinese prices, but at least ALL of the Chinese products I have bought actually work.

Kirk

LubOlimex

Its ok to complain,

However, please make it in a separate topic. Bringing 1 year old thread from the dead doesn't make good impression.

We are not selling consumer electronics. We are manufacturing GENERAL PURPOSE development boards aimed mainly at technically-capable individuals. They can be used in a billion ways in billion projects and there is no way to foresee every scenario. The boards you are complaining about are completely open hardware, open software boards. You can open the schematic as a real engineer and check what is the problem and think how to solve it.

We never claimed everything software-wise works. Quite the opposite - when we know something doesn't work we announce it. We aren't software engineers and we haven't sold a single piece of software. We need software to prove that all the hardware works flawless.

Yes, there are companies that create and support 1 board and they have perfect support this is ok. This is not what we do. We have 400 boards and lousy support.

Furthermore, before you have purchased something you could have checked what information is available to the end-customer and make up your mind whether you understand it, whether it is enough for you, whether you need more, etc.

You could have contancted us with questions whether something works or doesn't work before hand. It is impossible to emulate 1000s of thoughts and projects and exhaust all options that a mind can stitch together.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex