How to Build Android 4.2.2 for A20-OLinuXino-MICRO

Started by dave-at-axon, January 22, 2014, 05:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave-at-axon

If these designs are truly open source, I find it hard to believe that we don't have access to the Android JB 4.2 source for the A20? Olimex have been great in regards to the open hardware side, but we really seem to be up against it when it comes to the Android source.

All I can find is the 4.0 source.

Where is the JB 4.2 source for the A20 as I want to be able to build a custom ROM for this that includes the additional UARTS that I am trying to add to it.

ph.fouquet

One More

I don't understand how to use the sources for build from scratch

JohnS

Are the sources not the same as the ones for any other similar ARM cpu?

I'm unclear whose sources they are - google's?

John

ph.fouquet

that true the bigest part of the soures are on kernel or google git
but for don't lost must time it was better that board manufacturer that give

• patch and defconfig for the kernel
  • patch and device config for android
  • for this case flex file for packing and loading the board

The prebuild image work why they don't publish a tutorial for building from scratch?

Philippe

dave-at-axon

Quote from: JohnS on January 22, 2014, 10:06:31 AM

Mostly yes, but things like closed drivers need to be included. If you look at the likes of Samsung, they tell you to repo the Google repository and then dump their files into this, overwriting where required.

The directory layout is not clear with the Olimex source.

A bit more detail of the build and once we know we can build the source as supplied and run it, we can start to tinker with it and make changes etc. Without a working build, you have no idea what went wrong. :)

dave-at-axon

Quote from: ph.fouquet on January 22, 2014, 09:25:26 AM
One More

I don't understand how to use the sources for build from scratch

I have to agree. I have found limited information to build the source but no information on what the final output file is called or where it is located. Nothing on how to create the image for SD or NAND.

There needs to be a detailed wiki page somewhere on what is needed.

The FriendlyArm boards I was using have a nice set of source along with all the information to build and I have managed to create a custom Android build for that. I want to do the same for the Olimex boards.  :(

JohnS

Quote from: dave-at-axon on January 22, 2014, 11:00:21 AM
Quote from: JohnS on January 22, 2014, 10:06:31 AM

Mostly yes, but things like closed drivers need to be included. If you look at the likes of Samsung, they tell you to repo the Google repository and then dump their files into this, overwriting where required.

So isn't it Allwinner you should be asking?

John

ludo

One More

I don't understand how to use the sources for build from scratch.

I have tried every possible way to create a custom rom but no ones works.

i need a tutorial.

Ludo

JohnS

I think the boards are OSHW.  Linux is Open Source.  Android from Allwinner?  Partly.  At hte least you won't get GPU and similar sources.

But you probably? can get what you want.  Only Allwinner will have the sources for their variant of Android.  They may have passed them on to others.  You've checked the net I expect...

A tutorial - someone may know one, again are they not on the net?  (I don't myself have your exact wants.)

John

dave-at-axon

Thanks John,

I'll get in touch with Allwinner and find out about it.

I've no issues with having some parts as binary only as this seems to be the case with Android. Samsung for instance only provide the graphics drivers as binary.

It would just be nice to have source that we can build and create our own Android image. There are a few applications in there that I don't need for my final design. :)

If I can get this and get it working, and the source is free for all to use, then I'll post up a webpage on the build process.

JohnS

I expect that would help others.  Although aimed at Linux the linux-sunxi wiki can be useful for data.

Allwinner tend to just hand out a multi-GB drop of code with a "there it is" mentality so expect a bit of grief.

John

olimex

Quote from: ph.fouquet on January 22, 2014, 10:25:32 AM
that true the bigest part of the soures are on kernel or google git
but for don't lost must time it was better that board manufacturer that give

• patch and defconfig for the kernel
  • patch and device config for android
  • for this case flex file for packing and loading the board

The prebuild image work why they don't publish a tutorial for building from scratch?

Philippe

the problem is ... lazy developers!

Android is not GPL and although it's named Open Source we all know that it's not real Open Source - Google develops all things behind closed doors and do not accept contributions.
So the subject is a bit misleading. Allwinner Android is full with binary blobs and no sources, but this is in compliance with Android, so if you want open sources use Linux, the sources for Android image generations are linked on the Wiki.

What I understand from Dimitar is that he helped you on IRC to build Android image, now the ball is in your field :)

Will you document your steps in tutorial? Or you will do as everyone else - once complete the job you are so busy and your time is so valuable that you will not waste it to help others?

dave-at-axon

Quote from: olimex on January 23, 2014, 12:30:34 PM
What I understand from Dimitar is that he helped you on IRC to build Android image, now the ball is in your field :)

Will you document your steps in tutorial? Or you will do as everyone else - once complete the job you are so busy and your time is so valuable that you will not waste it to help others?

If you are referring to me, then I don't use IRC so there has been no help with this.

If I can get the source (as much as I can with binary blobs) and I can get it to build and I can load the image and run it on the A20, I will take the time to create a webpage and link it here.

I've had many people in the past help me so I am happy to help back.

ph.fouquet

Hi

For compiling a Android 4.2 image from scratch (thank for HeHoPMaJIeH to help me) :
Download the tow file at http://bundie.neterra.net:8080/index.php?path=last/

befor all configure your environnement see : http://source.android.com/source/initializing.html

For compiliing:

1. uncompress file (on same dir)
   $ tar zxvf lichee-v3.0.tar.gz
   $ tar zxvf android4.2-v3.0.tar.gz

2. kernel compilation (defconfig : sun7ismp_android_defconfig)
   $ cd lichee
   $ ./build.sh -p sun7i_android -b wing-nck70 -k 3.4

2. android compilation
   $ cd ../android4.2
   $ source build/envsetup.sh
   $ lunch (choose wing_nck70-eng)
   $ extract-bsp
   $ make -j8

3. Packing
   $ pack

If you don't have any error you must have image that can use with PhoenixSuite (the path will give to the last red ligne for pack command)

Philippe

dave-at-axon

Quote from: ph.fouquet on January 24, 2014, 09:18:44 AM
   $ tar zxvf lichee-v3.0.tar.gz
   $ tar zxvf android4.2-v3.0.tar.gz

Thanks Philippe but where can we download these files? I've searched and I can't locate them anywhere that Olimex says the sources file are.