March 29, 2024, 12:14:19 PM

SOLVED: MOD-TC-MK2-31855

Started by BAStumm, January 16, 2014, 11:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BAStumm

I'm trying to interface a mod-tc-mk2 directly to a Raspberry Pi (no UEXT board in the middle). Using i2cdetect I cannot find the board. I have 5 of these boards and tested 2 so far, no address shown in the matrix. I have connected 4 wires:

Mod-TC->RPi
1->1 3v3
2->6 GND
5->5 SDA
6->3 SCL

This is rev 2 RPi

Is there something I need to do to setup this board. I assume it comes preprogrammed with firmware. I notice SDA and SCL are attached to vcc with pull up resistors. The RPi has it's own pull ups for i2c, is this a problem? Is there something I need to do to set the address on the mod-tc-mk2?

BAStumm

How can I tell what firmware is loaded on the tc-mk2? I bought these from digikey (5 pieces) so not sure how long they have been on the shelf. Says Rev A and hand written 5 on the board.

Is this device not compatible with i2cdetect? I have another i2c device (adc-pi) which I see from i2cdetect on 0x68 and 0x69 so I know I have i2c set up correctly on the raspberry pi. I've also triple checked the wiring. Is there a way to see if the tc-mk2 is powered up?

Does this board operate at 3v3 or does it require 5v as I'm powering directly from the RPi at 3.3v.

JohnS

For voltage etc, on product page click UEXT link and look at details.

John

BAStumm

UEXT connector diagram on wiki, and board schematic both indicate 3.3vdc which is what I'm providing. Is there any marking on the board to indicate what firmware is loaded at shipment? Tried playing with the i2c-tool.c program from previous firmware with no luck. Cut the pads for the 4.7k resistors on one of the boards, no luck there either. I see some have reported getting this device to work (not with RPi that I'm aware of though). Hard to believe I got 3 bad parts (the number I've tried thus far).

BAStumm

modprobe -r i2c_bcm2708
modprobe i2c_bcm2708 baudrate=32000

issuing these commands allows me to find an i2c device located at 0x48, this would indicate this mod-tc has the older firmware as latest firmware uses 0x23. Correct? Thanks to some folks at the RPi forums for helping me sort this.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=66793&p=489489#p489489

BAStumm

also works at baud 80000 but not at 100000.

https://github.com/OLIMEX/OLINUXINO/tree/master/SOFTWARE/A13/MOD-TC-MK2

This software works on the RPi after editing i2c-2 (-1 or -2 for RPi) assuming you have the older firmware.