build kernel sunxi-next for A20

Started by armandob, March 04, 2014, 09:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armandob

Hi all,
i trying to build a newest kernel for A20. I follow instructions from http://olimex.wordpress.com/2013/11/05/building-the-ultimate-debian-sd-card-for-linux-with-kernel-3-4-for-a20-olinuxino-micro/

to build kernel and modules. I only needed to add LOADADDR=0x40008000 to build command, i obtained uImage, modules and firmwares for 3.14.0-rc3+

i also update uImage into boot partition of sd and copied modules under rootfs as guide but when i try to boot from sd i haven't any output.

could be a20_defconfig file that isn't for this kernel ?
could you help me ?

Armando

armandob

Hi progmetalbg,

i tryed to build using multi_v7_defconfig but on make modules i had few generated modules. I think that could be a config file problems.

Is possible recreate config file for branch sunxi-next or also reference-3.10 starting from a20_defconfig of kernel 3.4 ?

progmetalbg

Hi,

When you execute
make ARCH=arm multi_v7_defconfig
a .config file is generated in the the kernel source directory
Then you can run
make ARCH=arm menuconfig
and select additional modules to be compiled
I think only 3.4 provides support for most board and SoC features at the moment.
3.14-rc or 3.10 probably don't have support for USB, SATA, GPU, etc... yet.

armandob

i tryed many branches but nothing boot and work with my olinuxino A20, i tryed also to ask on linux-sunxi google group and i understand that the only kernel that can be used with X11 and usb devices at now is stable.
So i would like to know when next stable sunxi kernel will be release.

i think that could be 3.10 (or 3.12), but i see on https://github.com/linux-sunxi/linux-sunxi/branches that there isn't activity on reference-3.10 from 2 months.

have you some news about next stable release ?

codifies

I just grabbed the latest a few weeks ago and it worked fine, I had to modify/adapt /proc/config.gz from the "ultimate" SD image kernel, but it basically all just worked, diff your config against a known working config, it sounds more like you've misconfigured than anything else

armandob

Hi codifies,
could you share your steps and modifies ?
i would try to use ?

thanks

i used actual debian image and update only kernel modules folder and uImage file. Infact if i rewrite right uImage file, board boot and work fine.

codifies

I really didn't do anything special it just worked - try doing what I suggested...

armandob

i'm missing something...

my steps are:
- downloaded image ULTIMATE A20 Debian 4GB SD-card image release-7 (kernel 3.4.67+) from wiki link
- i dd image on my sd and tested it (it work fine)

after i build kernel and modules:

# get linux-sunxi sunxi-next branch:
git clone https://github.com/mripard/linux.git -b sunxi-next

# get a20 defconfig from https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-bAEPML8fwlNzBNN1N2SGpmblk/edit?usp=sharing
cp a20_defconfig linux-sunxi/arch/arm/configs/.

# i tryed to use multi_v7_defconfig first time and a20_defconfig second time with same result
make ARCH=arm a20_defconfig
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- LOADADDR=0x40008000 -j4 uImage
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- -j4 INSTALL_MOD_PATH=out modules
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- -j4 INSTALL_MOD_PATH=out modules_install

- i update uImage file in boot partition with generated file under arch/arm/boot/uImage
- i copyed kernel modules folder (3.14.0-rc5+) under rootfs partition /lib/modules/
- i copyed kernel firmware folder under rootfs partition /lib/

after then i restarted.

could you help me

codifies

Boot with the debian image
Copy or email to yourself /proc/config.gz

Make a diff on the bootable config and the one your trying to compile - you did run menuconfig right?

armandob

Hi codifies,
thanks for your replay.
I tryint to see diff between 2 .config files, but if you have already a .config that work, could you share it so i use it to try ?

codifies

It would be possible but probably counter productive, I have only configured my kernel for specifically what I need it for...  It works for me but probably contains incorrect settings and undoubtably errors, you'd be far better using the .config from the olimex debian "ultimate" sd card as a base

armandob

Hi codifies,
i trying to update multi_v7_defconfig generated .config with /proc/config of working image but there are many sections and i haven't a good knowledge to know what update.
Could you say me a minimum CONFIG_ item that i should import from working config file ?