Access to NAND flash on A13-Wifi

Started by David Goadby, October 30, 2012, 02:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Goadby

I have an A13-Wifi which boots Android ok. I now want to try booting the Debian image from the SD card. To do this I need to cut the CE_NAND_E link on the PCB. The manual says that once CE_NAND_E is cut then NAND flash is "disconnected".  Does this really mean "no access or is it mapped to another address?

If it really is disconnected it seems a bit of a waste and a lost opportunity. Is the NAND flash too small to install a Debian image instead I wonder?

I want to store configuration details and collected data from my data collection system in the NAND flash. By doing this I can update the system software by changing the SD card without losing the application data and set-ups.

Regards

David Goadby, North Wales, UK

olimex

why on earthy you will disconnect the NAND flash when the SD card will boot first if present?

HeHoPMaJIeH

Quote from: David Goadby on October 30, 2012, 02:58:03 PM
I have an A13-Wifi which boots Android ok. I now want to try booting the Debian image from the SD card. To do this I need to cut the CE_NAND_E link on the PCB. The manual says that once CE_NAND_E is cut then NAND flash is "disconnected".  Does this really mean "no access or is it mapped to another address?

If it really is disconnected it seems a bit of a waste and a lost opportunity. Is the NAND flash too small to install a Debian image instead I wonder?

I want to store configuration details and collected data from my data collection system in the NAND flash. By doing this I can update the system software by changing the SD card without losing the application data and set-ups.

Regards

David Goadby, North Wales, UK
You do not need to change/cut/set to gnd anything, to do this. You have full access to nand flash under debian.
/dev/nand

David Goadby

To the question "why on earthy you will disconnect the NAND flash when the SD card will boot first if present?" my answer is that the manual (rev D) mentions this in section 6.8.1 Quote "This only really important jumper on board. When cut this board disconnects the NAND flash providing a way of booting from the SD card".

Section 6.2 on the SD card only says that the SD card can be used for booting not that it will boot if a valid SD card is present

I did not know that the SD card will boot if present and the manual does not clearly state that anywhere so it was an easy mistake to make. Maybe an update to the manual would prevent confusion to others.

Thankfully I have a Linux SD card ready and did not yet cut the jumper.

Thanks for help - much appreciated.

David Goadby

olimex

I will ping Lub to correct the manual, sorry for the confusion!

LubOlimex

Hey,

This is now fixed. We got it wrong since the beginning.

Regards,
Lub
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

David Goadby

Well done - that is a fast response indeed. That sort of response encourages us to use this forum to pass on our notes and observations.

Some companies have forums to deflect customer support calls and emails but never respond to the obvious grumbles from users. Not so olimex it seems so have a gold star and A+ report!

Regards

David Goadby