Emulate A20 debian image with QEMU ?

Started by Lloyd777, December 04, 2013, 05:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd777

Hello everyone,

My school will work on a project with a A20 board. There are many teams on this project, so we want to virtualize the environnemnt of the A20 in order everyone can work.

We downloaded the debian image kernel 3.4 provide by the official page A20, but we can't manage to run this image with QEMU. A20 use a dual core A7-cortex, so we search if QEMU support it, and we see QEMU doesn't support it. But we see A15-Cortex can be used instead of A7-cortex (it will only be slower) wich is supported by QEMU.

So I would like to know, if somebody has succeded tu run the debian image from A20 with QEMU, or it's impossible for the moment ? Thank you very much, if you have ideas.

Regards

isidoro

I have got an olinuxino a10 too, so I followed this:

http://jamesbond3142.no-ip.org/wiki/wiki.cgi/FatdogArm/AdoptingFatdogArmForQemu

I think it will be easy to emulate a20 too.
regards,
Gianni

d4

Hi.

Instead of emulating the whole system, you may emulate the O.S.

I have a olinuxino lime A20, and the O.S. is on the SD card ; I emulate it in a Debian system.

Instructions:

• follow the instructions here :  in short, all you have to do is

# apt install qemu-user-static systemd-container
  • properly shut down the olinuxino
  • insert the SD card in a SD reader of the PC; if the partitions are automounted, you may need to umount them and remount as "root" user, somthing like
    mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt 

• as root issue
    # systemd-nspawn -D /mnt
    ; after this command , you are interacting with the olinuxino O.S.
  • to access the network, look at the link /etc/resolv.conf , if it is broken , create all needed directories and the file and write "nameserver 8.8.8.8" in it; I did

# ls -l /etc/resolv.conf 

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 May 13 16:08 /etc/resolv.conf -> ../run/resolvconf/resolv.conf

# mkdir /run/resolvconf

# echo 'nameserver 8.8.8.8' >  /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf

• at this point, you can install packages, start some services, compile sw, etc etc

d4

The command
# systemd-nspawn -b -D /mnt

would be better, because it would start the whole O.S. in the container (from
/sbin/init

down, all services), but unfortunately it fails with the current images , with error
# Failed to enqueue loopback interface start request: Operation not supported
; it is a known bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/1886811