Newbie booting from sd card and reflashing A10s-4gb from linux64bit

Started by spanner, October 18, 2013, 06:51:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spanner

Hi there,
I just got one of the A10s-4gb models from amazon, impressed with the speed of arrival etc.
But im one of those guys who cant get on with tablets or tablet style operating systems and whilst pleased the the board came up in android without any bother desperatly want to get rid of android.
I have downloaded the debian image A10S_debian_GPIO_LAN_USB_SDs_HDMI_LCD_I2C_100KHz_4G_release_3.img
and burnt it to a micro sd card i can mount that card under linux and see both partiions etc. but i cant boot the A10 from it it just jumps straight into android. i have tried playing with the jumpers etc to no avail.
I tried downloading and instaling the livesuit software only to find it does not work under linux , i have no excess to windows.
I am now stumped. Is the A10s-4gb inteded to be bootable from an SD card if not can i cut any links etc to convert it to a non flashed model ? am i just doing something stupid???

spanner

Ho-Hum,
An update, I repeatedly flashed a pair of 4gb class 4 micro-sd cards i managed once or twice to get as far as a penguin logo on screen followed by an automatic re-boot. ( watching the debug tty it said checksum error )

Today i managed to get my hands on a pair of 8gb class 10 micro-sd cards £12.50 for a pack of 2 in currys/pc world at the metro center. I have just finished flashing one of them, stuck it in the A10S and it booted straight into Linux without problems. Slight over-scan on the screen
( basic hdmi on a pink Baird TV ) which reports 60hz rather than Hz. Networking on eth0 never came up, but adding the 3 lines shown in another thread fixed that. Now i need to figure out how to expand the sd-card's disk image to it's full 8gb.

I have no idea weather the original class4 micro-sd cards were faulty or just to slow. 
But things are starting to look better already.