Upgrade Debian Image v2 to v3 to v4

Started by PaceyIV, September 15, 2013, 02:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaceyIV

Can you post all the things you change in the Debian image from v2 to v3?
I mean any config file like inittab etc...

I would like to upgrade my system made on debian image v2 to v3 without replace the micro SD and merge your changes with mine.

junetec

At least, to me, would be interesting to know if there's some improvements? to worth the change.

tlhingan

Yes, it would be very nice to have a little table with 2 columns:
-stuff broken in R2 fixed in R3
-stuff that was working in R2 that is now broken in R3.
I suspect some people will want to stick to R2 a little bit longer,
I know I can't wait to get my hands on R3 later today!

PaceyIV

olimex

v3 and v4 use newer kernels 3.4.53 and 3.4.61+ respectively
I posted how the images are built you can revert to the older kernels and see the differenes in them

and newer kernel is to come
what I see as WIP are the VPU, GPU, NAND drivers

PaceyIV

As at the first post in this topic, I'm not interesting in the kernel differences.

I want to know if you made some change in the debian rootfs, in the /etc/ directory etc..

olimex

no, the debian rootfs is same
just different kernels / drivers / modules for the hardware on board

Now when each hardware block is working, I promise there will be no new revisions until Linux-Sunxi add GPU/VPU or NAND support in the Kernel

we move now to A13 and A10S to upgrade to Kernel 3.4 and Android 4.2.2 on their images

KNK

Quote from: olimex on September 19, 2013, 08:55:30 AM
Now when each hardware block is working ...
I have not tested the new versions yet, but can you confirm that the SPI interfaces are present and working with them?

tlhingan

Just booted r4 for the first time, here's the obvious changes everyone will notice:

• there's a green LED that comes on when the board is active, in addition to the old red LED when the board is powered on. If only the red LED is on, the board is not booting, it is shut down. If both LEDs are on, the board is/has booted. This is an awesome addition!
  • HDMI is still the default output of the image, but now the old way to manually change the output by copy/pasting script.bin files is gone. To change the output, you need to boot with an HDMI screen and then use the change display script that has been included since R3.
  • touchscreen works out of the box and no longer needs manual editing of the screen resolution for X. YAY!
  • ethernet still doesn't work out of the box as in r3. Use the same fix.

KNK

And there is still no /dev/spi* :(
How the UEXT modules using SPI are supposed to work?

reverbrick

Quote from: KNK on September 24, 2013, 11:21:41 AM
And there is still no /dev/spi* :(
How the UEXT modules using SPI are supposed to work?
Hello, got the same question. You advertise everywhere that SPI is supported. Please guide us how...I have I2C working as there is such device in dev, but I have no idea how to start up with SPI.

Please advide
DG