[SOLVED] MIDI on A20

Started by XFer, August 15, 2013, 11:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XFer

After many days of wrestling, I finally succeded in having MIDI working on A20, Debian 7.0 R2.

Since the supplied kernel doesn't have MIDI support, I started from the 3.3.0 Cubieboard2.
Unfortunately this kernel has a number of issues: bugs in USB, limits in ALSA drivers.
Fixed here and there, now it works: you can hook up a MIDI keyboard to any of the USB ports (OTG or not) and have it recognized.
Latency is about 21ms, as well, down from 85.

I'm quite exhausted; anyway if anyone needs a working MIDI, drop me a line and I'll post the patched kernel source and .config somewhere.

Fernando

Tom

Well done and good luck with the rest of your project...

isidoro

Quote from: XFer on August 15, 2013, 11:18:59 PM
After many days of wrestling, I finally succeded in having MIDI working on A20, Debian 7.0 R2.
I'm quite exhausted; anyway if anyone needs a working MIDI, drop me a line and I'll post the patched kernel source and .config somewhere.

Fernando

Great! I'm still on hlidays, it's a great news.

reverbrick

Quote from: XFer on August 15, 2013, 11:18:59 PM

Since the supplied kernel doesn't have MIDI support, I started from the 3.3.0 Cubieboard2.
Unfortunately this kernel has a number of issues: bugs in USB, limits in ALSA drivers.
Fixed here and there, now it works: you can hook up a MIDI keyboard to any of the USB ports (OTG or not) and have it recognized.
Latency is about 21ms, as well, down from 85.

Fernando

XFer, very good news as I'was having issues with midi and also ethernet on my board.
Have you also solved it for your controller?
Would you be so kind to post kernel source and your configs?

Best regards
Daniel

XFer

Sure, later today I'll upload it and share the link.

Of course that's a trimmed .config, for my own needs: after having checked that everything works, you may want to enable more stuff in the menuconfig (for example: I don't need wireless, NAND support, LCD, touchscreen, X, VideoForLinux etc.).

Fernando

reverbrick

Thanks a lot Fernando!
I'll give it a try immediately!

Regards
DG