Sata power supply

Started by PaceyIV, August 07, 2013, 11:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaceyIV

Hi,

Where is the right sata power supply connector?

On my board (Rev D), near the power supply, between a capacitor and the UEXT2 connector I have a 2 pin connector labelled as 5V Sata Pwr but I can't power my hard disk from this! I haven't got voltage!

Next to the sata data link connector I've got 2 hole (without the connector) with the label 5V PWR and I've got voltage on this.

What about power? How many amperes?

PaceyIV

oliver

Quote from: PaceyIV on August 07, 2013, 11:43:38 PM
Hi,

Where is the right sata power supply connector?

On my board (Rev D), near the power supply, between a capacitor and the UEXT2 connector I have a 2 pin connector labelled as 5V Sata Pwr but I can't power my hard disk from this! I haven't got voltage!

Next to the sata data link connector I've got 2 hole (without the connector) with the label 5V PWR and I've got voltage on this.

What about power? How many amperes?
I quickly looked at the datasheet from olimex, which they generously supply and found the following:

First thing I notice is that PB8 is Sata-PWR-En which would indicate you need to set this in your FEX file to enable power to the 5V pins.

Voltage is 5V, Amperage depends on your input power. E.g. if you supply 500 mA via your PC, then there will be maximaly 500 mA available to your sata port. Take note that you will loose quite some of that for the CPU and perhipals. So you need atleast 1 A or more power supply to drive a light harddisks and more might be required for your usecase.

Anyhow, check your fex setting and assign PB8 as a output to it I guess :)