Flashing the Olimex A20

Started by jupoulton, July 15, 2013, 10:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jupoulton

Hello,
I received my Olimex A20 last week and have been trying out the 2 available OS.
I tried the Android on the NAND by default, then I put the preliminary Debian image on an SD card.
Now I want to try the Android again but the card does not boot without the SD card anymore. The serial output is just a continuous flow of 

[  180.809304] init: untracked pid 9885 exited
[  190.033552] init: untracked pid 10338 exited
[  190.041881] init: untracked pid 10339 exited

type messages.
So, I naturally wanted to flash the NAND with the Android NAND image on the olimex wiki.
Flashing the NAND on my A13 was easy enough:
Start liveSuit on Windows
Power up board while pressing Home button
Plug in USB cable
Let go of Home
LiveSuit detects the board and starts flashing.

However, if I do this with the A20, LiveSuit detects nothing at all.
So my question is how does one flash the NAND of the Olimex A20 ?

jupoulton

Well it so happens I'm supposed to use Pheonix Suite instead. So I've downloaded that now.
But I still have the same problem, the device is never detected.
I do get this in the serial output : [    3.636824] init: cannot find '/system/etc/install-recovery.sh', disabling 'flash_recovery'

LubOlimex

Hey jupoulton,

Did you follow the steps detailed in the FAQ section at the wiki (https://www.olimex.com/wiki/A20-OLinuXino-MICRO)?

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

jupoulton

No - when did that get there ?
I'll give that a try, thanks.

jupoulton

Okay, I can flash Android to my Olimex A20 now :D.

There is something I don't quite understand, is this not the same image that was in the NAND when the A20 was shipped to me ? I ask because there are some problems with this new image which weren't present in the Android installed by default when I got the board.
Namely the USB hub not being powered, the Ethernet/USB adapter not connecting to the internet, and the system powering off when Android goes to screen saver.

I realize that this is the "preliminary image" but then, what was on the A20 when shipped ? Maybe I downloaded a faulty file or forgot something ?

Thanks.

LubOlimex

Hello jupoulton,

This is the latest Android image and there is still much work to be done. Currently the main priorities are to make the bottom USB_HOST work; same for the bottom SD card connector, the Ethernet and the touch screen support (those 4 doesn't currently work).

The Linux image has a better support for the moment being.

I will add this information in the wiki.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex