AXP209 - hand-solderable alternative PM IC?

Started by karrister, November 21, 2013, 07:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karrister

Hi all,

does anyone know of any alternatives to AXP209, a chip/few chips that could be used instead of the AXP209 so to be able to hand-solder the PMU chip(s)?

I am planning to make an A13 based Open Source Android board. I intend to use the A13 SOM that should be out later this year - however, that SOM will not have the AXP209 PMU/PMIC chip on it (according to the info I got - wish I was wrong), and as for the "motherboard" itself I can only afford having hand-solderable components.

Thus, does anyone know of something hand-solderable that could do the job instead? (Or would it be possible to use kapton tape to keep the chip in place and use a frying pan - or any other similar methods that someone was able to solder the AXP209 at home?  8) 8) )

Thanks a lot for all the help!

vinzer

Quote from: karrister on November 21, 2013, 07:36:25 PM
Hi all,

does anyone know of any alternatives to AXP209, a chip/few chips that could be used instead of the AXP209 so to be able to hand-solder the PMU chip(s)?

I am planning to make an A13 based Open Source Android board. I intend to use the A13 SOM that should be out later this year - however, that SOM will not have the AXP209 PMU/PMIC chip on it (according to the info I got - wish I was wrong), and as for the "motherboard" itself I can only afford having hand-solderable components.

Thus, does anyone know of something hand-solderable that could do the job instead? (Or would it be possible to use kapton tape to keep the chip in place and use a frying pan - or any other similar methods that someone was able to solder the AXP209 at home?  8) 8) )

AXP209 can be replaced by few separate power supply chips.
What do you plan to use as hand-solderable DDR2 or DRR3 ram? I have never seen these different from BGA.

karrister

Quote from: vinzer on November 23, 2013, 09:57:06 AM
Quote from: karrister on November 21, 2013, 07:36:25 PM
Hi all,

AXP209 can be replaced by few separate power supply chips.
What do you plan to use as hand-solderable DDR2 or DRR3 ram? I have never seen these different from BGA.

Hi Vinzer, thanks for the reply.

I think I mentioned, I am planning to use eventually the A13 SOM, that will have the RAM ready on board, but unfortunately according to stuff I read on Olimex blog it seems it will lack the AXP209 chip. And yeah, very probably it's possible to replace the AXP209 with a chip or few, with hand-solderable chips that is. That's exactly what I was wondering that if someone had done the job of researching through hand-solderable chips that could overall replace AXP209.

However now I am starting to consider getting the Atten 8586 hot air + soldering station for doing QFN (I think BGA would be too difficult) chips with the hot air gun, but not sure if that's the optimal solution. I would still be very happy to hear about replacement chip(s), especially since I read the AXP209 is not really doing it's job well anyways.

JohnS

Didn't Olimex avoid the AXP209 on their Micro board?  Might give ideas.

John