PIC32-T795 in Pinguino bootloader mode

Started by kdragn, October 04, 2012, 11:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdragn

I've got Rev B of the T795 and there are jumpers pads on the bottom labeled RD8/RD0.  Am I supposed to solder the RD8 jumper if I want to use pinguino?  Is there a less permanent way to do this?  I just got the board and wanted to take some time to choose an IDE I like. 

Does soldering the jumpers affect behavior in any way other than the bootloader?

LubOlimex

Hello kdragn,

Unfortunately, there is no other way to enter Pinguino mode.

Switching the SMD jumper position requires not only to solder the RD8/RD0 jumper to 2-3 (RD0) position but also to cut the default connection 1-2 (RD8). Soldering/unsoldering/cutting SMD jumpers is considered a basic electronics task and you can find guides and videos online.

You will also need to program the board with the Pinguino bootloader. Please follow this thread: http://forum.pinguino.cc/showthread.php?tid=3612.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

kdragn

Thanks, could you clear up a few more questions?

From section 6.5 "Jumper Description" of the manual (https://www.olimex.com/Products/Duino/PIC32/PIC32-T795/resources/PIC32-T795-initial-release.pdf):

RD8/RD0
Changes the default boot pin. If RD0 is selected starts with Duinomite bootloader. If RD8 is
selected Pinguino bootloader.
Default positions is RD0.

This sounds like exactly the opposite of what you're advising.  It also implies that the Pinguino bootloader is accessible simply by selecting a jumper position.  It doesn't mention cutting the default connection.  Glancing at the Rev B schematic, I think you're correct that jumping RD0 will enable the Penguino bootloader, but then why does the MANUAL advise otherwise?

Next question:  the bottom of my board has three unconnected pads.  Neither RD8 nor RD0 is soldered.  How exactly am I supposed to cut the RD8 connection?  I'd think that'd usually be by desoldering the connection, but as none currently exists, the only other way I can think of is to cut a trace.  But, I am a complete newbie when it comes to this type of thing, so perhaps I'm missing something obvious.

Next question:  Does soldering the RD0 jumper have any other effects on the behavior of the board besides the bootloader?

Final question:  That thread on the Pinguino forum you directed me to makes it look like the T795 board doesn't work with Pinguino IDE at all right now.  What's the deal?

Thanks.

LubOlimex

Hello,

Thanks for reporting the error in the manual.

I'm  correct, the manual is wrong. I have updated the manual now, added a few other things also. The SMD jumper different position does change the pin connected to the button required for the boot of DUINOMITE or PINGUINO. Basically they use different processor pins for the button.

You are supposed to cut between the two connected pads (2 - 3, RD8). Use a cutter knife or similar sharp and thin tool. They might seem unconnected but they are connected. You can also try using the Duinomite bootloader to test the jumper position.

It was never said PIC32-T795 has full support for Pinguino IDE, just that PIC32MX795F512 has support for Pinguino which means support for PIC32-T795 is not hard to accomplish. The thread I linked is a recent one and they are working on Pinguino support for PIC32-T795.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

kdragn