Persistent keymap doesn't work

Started by oly, October 07, 2026, 09:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oly

Hello,

I use the last A20-OLinuXino-bookworm-minimal-20260323-113959.img on a fresh new SD card with a LIME2.

By default, on system start, the keyboard seems to be mapped with US (or GB).
I use a french keyboard so I tried to set the correct keymap and locales.
No problem with locales but I didn't achieve to get persistent FR AZERTY keymap.

The /etc/default/keymapkeyboard seems correct :
# KEYBOARD CONFIGURATION FILE

# Consult the keyboard(5) manual page.

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="fr"
XKBVARIANT="azerty"
BACKSPACE="guess"
XKBOPTIONS="terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

I tried many things from https://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard :

https://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard#Basic_keyboard_configuration_.28Kernel_and_X.29 => no change, still US before and after reboot.
https://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard#Manual_configuration_of_keyboard => no change, still US, still US before and after reboot.
https://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard#How_to_set_keyboard_layout_in_initramfs => no change, still US before and after reboot.
https://wiki.debian.org/Keyboard#How_to_dynamically_activate_Linux_console_settings => changed to FR but not persistent. Go back to US after reboot, as supposed.

Any idea or help welcomed



LubOlimex

First, can you confirm whether the filename is /etc/default/keyboard rather than /etc/default/keymap?

Please then try:

Quotesudo setupcon --save-only
sudo systemctl restart keyboard-setup.service

If this changes the keyboard to French, reboot and check again. keyboard-setup.service can load a compiled keymap from /etc/console-setup/; that cached map may still contain the original US configuration. If reboot still restores US, please post what you get with these:

Quotesystemctl status keyboard-setup.service --no-pager --full
systemctl is-enabled keyboard-setup.service
journalctl -b -u keyboard-setup.service --no-pager
ls -l /etc/console-setup/cached*
grep -E 'loadkeys|cached_.*kmap' \
    /etc/console-setup/cached_setup_keyboard.sh 2>/dev/null
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

oly

Hello,

Thank you for your help.
I confirm it is the /etc/default/keyboard file (corrected in my initial post).

I'll try this ASAP and let you know.