[A13-OLinuXino-WIFI] Power through USB OTG port

Started by tim-909, November 29, 2012, 03:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim-909

Hi all,

I have an A13-LinuXino-WIFI board. If I power the board through the power connection everything works fine. I measure that the device is using approximately 300 mA in standby and 600 mA at start-up if the voltage is 5 V.

Now I do not want to use the power connection but the USB OTG port to power the board. I can see the board start-up but then is goes off. It does this when the device request approximately 600 mA. I have tried an Belkin Power Adapter (F8Z572cw) that can deliver 1A through the USB but that doesn't work.

My questions:
- Does anyone know if the USB OTG port can handle a higher current then 500 mA (max. specified by USB2.0). Or can explain why my Belkin adapter does not work?
- Does anyone know if it is possible to easily turn off separate parts of the A13-LinuXino-WIFI board to ensure it stays under 500 mA? I already turned WIFI off.

Thanks!

olimex

some USB ports can source more than 500mA some can't more than 200 mA (laptops mostly) so there is no single answer to this question

my advice is to not power A13 from USB, you can use these 5V/1A adapters with USB cables though without problems to power A13 via the USB connector