A13 WIFI board locks up when loading xfce4

Started by mikenycz, March 17, 2014, 08:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikenycz

I am booting my A13 WIFI board with the debian image provided on the SD card purchased from Olimex. I am using the A13-LCD7-TS display as a display. I was able to boot the board, I was able to access WIFI and ethernet. I then tried to launch the xfce4 graphical environment. The flash screen comes up and I can still move the mouse. Then the main xfce4 screen comes up and for a short time I can still move the mouse. Then the mouse pointer freezes, I cannot type on the keyboard and the board is locked up ( I opened an ssh session prior to launching xfce4 and after the freeze up ssh no longer has access). Is there something I need to do to configure the xfce4 environment prior to launching it? If anyone has experience with this I would appreciate your sharing what you have found.

Thank you,
Mike Nycz

LubOlimex

Hey Mike,

Few ideas:

Have you configured the Debian for the 7 inch LCD by using ./change_display_A13_OLinuXino.sh?

Have you tried to calibrate the screen before the mouse freezes?

Please ensure you are using the latest official Debian image from the wiki: https://www.olimex.com/wiki/A13-OLinuXino.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

mikenycz

Thank you for the response. I tried to execute the ./change_display... command and the command is not found. I tried doing this from the root directory. Is there anyplace else that it might be? I am using the Debian image that came installed on the micro SD card that I bought from Olimex. Is there any other things that I need to install to get the ./change_display... and other setup related features? It seems that some of the things are already there (i.e. there is a ts directory that seems to have the programs related to the touch screen, and there is an xwindow manager (xfce4) installed as well. But these things seem to be having issues. When I boot in Android all the hardware seems to work (touch screen works as well). So I am assuming that I have a software / driver configuration issue in Linux. If you can provide any help here is will be greatly appreciated. I have used linux (actually aix) in the past but have not done much with machine configurations (the old job had an IT department for that).

Thanks,
Mike Nycz

mikenycz

Some additional information. I also see that tslib is already installed on this Debian image. I tried to run the ts_test and ts_calibrate scripts and I get the following error message....

Selected device is not a touchscreen (must support ABS and KEY event types)

When I try running the xfce4 the screen that it generates seems to fit well into the 7" LCD display so I think the driver is sized properly. However, there is no change_display script that I can find so I am wondering what else may be missing from my image. The Debian version that comes up before login is 3.0.52+. Could this be a source of many problems?

Thank you,
Mike Nycz

mikenycz

I see that the latest Debian image from the Olimex uses version 3.4.75+. I suspect many issues have been addressed since the image that I currently have. I will download the latest image and try that as a first step.

Thank you,
Mike Nycz

mikenycz

Ok, I downloaded the latest Debian release image (3.4.75+) and now I get into the GUI with no problems! Since I have the 7" touch screen, I now have the same flicker problem that others are having.. So I wait until the end of the week for the fix.

When the board boots with the latest image it goes directly to the GUI. My question is, is there a way to boot in command line mode or a way to exit the GUI and come out in command line mode?

Thank you,
Mike Nycz