March 29, 2024, 10:50:51 AM

MSP430-GBD

Started by abanhussain, June 26, 2015, 07:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abanhussain

Hello,

I just got the MSP430-GBD for implementing a glass break detector. It comes with a JTAG and am not sure how I can interface it with my MAC book (OS X 10.10.3).

I am a bit of a newby having had some experience in assembly programming many moons ago using PICs.

What I would need to do is connect the MSP430-GBD to my MAC using the usb port and be able to program it with a suitable assembler/compiler.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hussain

LubOlimex

Hey Hussain,

MSP430-GBD is a general-purpose development board with MSP430F2274A. You need a programmer or debugger to modify and change the default demo code. This is mentioned in the "BOARD USE REQUIREMENTS" section of the user's manual.

The information in the manual is quite outdated - there are newer debuggers available. For example, MSP430-JTAG-TINY-V2 and MSP430-JTAG-ISO-MK2.

You would also need a proper software suite for development. The best idea is to initially use the IDE that was used for the demo example available. I believe the MSP430-GDB's examples were written in IAR EW for MSP430. They have a free evaluation version that is available after registration.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex