Will A13-SOM-256-DEBIAN-SD work with A13-OLinuXino-MICRO?

Started by pparent, October 18, 2015, 07:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pparent

Hi,

I have bought a SD card A13-SOM-256-DEBIAN-SD. I would like to know wether it is supposed to boot on  A13-OLinuXino-MICRO or not?

It does not matter wether or not VGA works for now, I just want to know , if I order a  A13-OLinuXino-MICRO will linux boot on it with my SD card, containing a system for A13-SOM-256. I.e are A13-SOM-256 and A13-OLinuXino-MICRO inter-compatible in terms of software?

Thanks in advance!

Pierre.

JohnS

At a guess, no.

Compare the schematics very carefully and unless identical that'll be why.

User-level software that doesn't rely directly on hardware should be compatible if built for the same kernel (or one compatible) if you have the right LIBs etc (same as x86 Linux etc).

You could perhaps/probably build a kernel that would boot on both boards but I wouldn't bother.

John

pparent

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

The thing is A13-SOM-256 is not open hardware so I cannot check the schematics.

Also I don't see why the schematics should be exactly the same for the Uboot/kernel to boot on two different boards with the same processor. Usually the only thing needed is that the RAM and the SD card (or other memory used to boot) are routed the same.

I've already booted the same Uboot/kernel on a wide variety of different boards based one IMX233 for example, without any problem.

Pierre.

JohnS

Schematic - on product page.

PMIC, exact RAM, etc may well be different.  These are not iMX233-type boards.

John

pparent

Actually I checked it and Ram routing IS different.

Som uses 14 pins of data on the RAM bus where Micro uses only 13. So it is probably incompatible in terms of U-boot version.

Pierre.

pparent

Well actually the Olinuxino-Micro image runs both on Olinuxino-Micro and SOM-256.

But I don't know yet if  Olinuxino-SOM256 image runs on olinuxino Micro.

Pierre.

olimex

why you do not use the image made specially for micro?
there are lot of settings which are different for these two boards