Embedded modules with temperature specification

Started by KeesZagers, November 30, 2015, 11:47:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeesZagers

The traditional Olimex products of Olimex are development boards and used in a laboraty environment. So temperature is no problem. However more and more of the new products are embedded modules which can be plugged into our own designed PCB's. For these modules it would be nice to have a specification of operating and storage temperature of the devices. I think more and more people like to use these boards in industrial designs and in these environments some temperature range has to be defined.
In particular I'm interested in the temperature range of the PIC32-T795 module, but I think also for the IoT and the embedded OLinuXino products this is a nice feature to have.

JohnS

Good points!

You could get a fair idea by looking up each of the components (horrors, yes) and/or comparing with the nearest industrial board (when there is one) - in this case maybe the Pinguino?  Then you have some parts not the same which you'd have to look up individually.  Not fun.

To go back over all their boards now would be too much work for Olimex I guess but maybe try email to support for the board(s) you need to know about.

You can likely order industrial or other range boards - at a cost and min qty I expect.  May as well ask at the same time...

John

KeesZagers

Thanks John,

I did already check the temperature range of the PIC32 controller (-40 - 105 deg C operating), but this does not mean that the board will have that range. Often a simple component as a capacitor can destroy the specification.

I did include the issue in this category of new product ideas, because I think we have to see the embedded products as components and then we need to see the specification in the datasheet or at least in the manual to convince a customer that we can use this component for his solution.