Newbie here, need help on making these boards

Started by MS, February 20, 2014, 05:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MS

Hello everyone

I recently discovered OLinuXino, and I am very excited about it. I have decided to make a board for myself, but as I am not an expert in these issues, I have two naive questions:
First, I cannot find iMX233, A10, A20 or A13 in my country's market  :(
Is it possible to use other alternatives instead of them?
Second, is there a well-written tutorial on how to make one of these boards?

Many thanks in advance for your help
M

MS

Thanks kathikis. However my main question is if I can use other types of ARM micro controllers instead of those mentioned to build this, since I cannot find them in market here.

dave-at-axon

Hi MS,

Firstly, do you have experience of high speed PCB design? Have you worked with multi-layer before? If you have, then good, you should be able to do this.

If not, then have a look at the open source Eagle files for the Olimex A20 and check out the PCB connections for the SDRAM. :) They are designed with high speed PCB techniques so you will see nice squiggly lines.

You should be able to build a board based on any Cortex A7/8 processor you can find in your market, but the issue is getting the firmware for it as the stuff on here is Allwinner based and won't run out of the box on other processors. Each manufacturer has their own proprietary drivers that you will need to get.

Which country are you located in? Could you not import the boards from Olimex or even the processors they sell? Which processors can you get in your local market?

MS

Thank you very much dave-at-axon for your response

I do not have experience of high speed PCB design. You are right, these design are too complicated! I was hoping to make minimum changes in these designs and get it build.
I am in Iran, and here I just have found Cortex MX processors. Although I might be able to import A7/8 processors, but I am doing this for hobby and it will cost me too much I guess.
I just want such a board to make simple projects like a MP3player, I'm going to use a touch LCD and I want it to have a descent OS like Android or Debian or...
What do you suggest?

Thanks

JohnS

You need to buy a board.  Anything else looks nearly impossible.

What are you allowed to buy that looks like it will do what you want?

John

MS

QuoteYou need to buy a board.  Anything else looks nearly impossible.

What are you allowed to buy that looks like it will do what you want?
Thanks John for your reply
I can buy Raspberry pi, BeagleBoard and CubieBoard, but I just liked the idea of OLinuXino, and I was wondering if I can build it myself. Anyways, the goal is to have a board that runs a user friendly OS like Android or Debian or etc (because I am not expert in working with command line Linux unlike most of you!), and is able to drive an LCD with touchscreen.
Any suggestions?

JohnS

I guess the one with the most RAM that also supports what you want :)

John

dave-at-axon

Hi MS,

Are you able to place an order from Olimex from your country? I have heard that currency transfers are difficult from Iran.

If you can order then I would contact DHL, Fedex or UPS as those are the posting options from Olimex and find out from them what the costs are for import and duty? I am pretty sure it will be considerably less than making 1 board yourself from parts as you will not be able to hand solder them.

According to this website, you are liable for duty above $50 but I could not fund any duty rates on that site.

http://www.irica.gov.ir/Portal/Home/Default.aspx?CategoryID=0e2ff7dd-1e9f-493f-b38b-f0fecd5dc721

Your alternative of the Beagleboard may be a good solution if you can get one. They are almost impossible to get here as no one seems to have stock. :) You can get a Beagle cape for the LCD or you can make your own. They can be hand soldered if you are good with a soldering iron. :)

Good luck with it.

MS

Thanks dave-at-axon for your reply.
I will see into it.

Cheers