March 28, 2024, 11:02:06 AM

Pickit 3 and MPLab 8.92

Started by John822179, November 05, 2013, 04:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John822179

Hello everyone,

Just received my Olimex Pickit 3.
It appears to work correctly with PicKit3 programmer version 1.
I guess I am missing something obvious, but I can't get MPLab IDE 8.92 to recognise that it is connected.
When selecting it as my Programmer, the Output screen gives the following message:

PICkit 3 detected
Connecting to PICkit 3...
Firmware Suite Version...... 01.28.90
Firmware type......................Midrange
PICkit 3 Connected.
PK3Err0045: You must connect to a target device to use PICkit 3.

I get the same message when selecting it as Debugger.

I have a Microchip 'Low pin count demo' board connected.  I carefully checked the Pinout of the
Pickit 3 to ensure correct polarity.  Shame Olimex don't mark which is PIN 1 :o

I have RED and YELLOW leds on.
Since I bought this to use as a debugging tool, it isn't really helping me!

Anyone out there spot what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance
John822179

Lurch

The board isn't powered.
The Pickit3 probably doesn't supply power to the board by default - you have to change the settings.
To do that, connect the Pickit3 and select it as Programmer, then you'll find a "settings" entry in the Programmer menu.  The Power-Tab allows setting. 
It's better in general to power the board externally instead of using the Pickit3 - it's a little weak.

John822179

Hi Lurch,

Many thanks for your speedy response.
CHecked the power situation, all set correctly and don't work.
I will try a separate PSU tomorrow when I get back into the office.
Strange that it works OK in Pickit 3 though.
I will report back in the morning.

John822179

Lurch

Also be sure that the reset pin of the chip used is connected through a resistor to Vdd.
Which chip are you trying to program?

LubOlimex

Hey,

Did you check the notes about the mirrored cable in the user's manual: https://www.olimex.com/Products/PIC/Programmers/PIC-KIT3/resources/PIC-KIT3.pdf?

Please check the FAQ of PIC-ICSP: https://www.olimex.com/Products/PIC/Programmers/PIC-ICSP/.

Our PIC-KIT3 acts exactly like Microchip's PICkit3. I have both infront of me and I use them almost every day. Except for the mirrored layout everything else is almost the same (they don't have a power jack, and we lack one LED...). It should be a generic problem.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

Dave

Your LPC Demo Board is very similar to the 18-pin Demo Board I'm using, so hopefully these suggestions will help:

- Don't power the board with the PIC-KIT3 - use an external power supply.

- Be very aware of the PIC's voltage - is it 3.3V or 5V?  Set the PIC-KIT3 accordingly.

- I'm not sure which specific PIC you're using but make sure it's inserted correctly in the LPC Demo Board's socket.

- My 18-pin Demo Board used a 6-pin right angle ICSP/ICD connector.  The connector that came with the Olimex PIC-KIT3 won't plug into that right-angle connector - you'll have to replace it or gently/carefully bend it up to a better angle.

- The PIC-KIT3 connector's guide tabs should be towards the PIC on the LPC Demo Board (the smooth side of the connector should be closest to the edge of the LPC Demo Board).  The connectors on my PIC-KIT3's cable have a little "1" embossed on the plastic but that's NOT the ICSP/ICD connector's pin 1.  I'm going to borrow some of my daughter's fingernail polish and fix this for real...   :D

- Beware of pin 6 on the ISCP/ICD connector!  On the LPC Demo Board it's connected to the PIC's RA4.  The PIC-KIT3 actively drives this, so you can't use it as either a GPIO or PIC peripheral connection unless you remove the PIC-KIT3's wire to pin 6 on the connector.  (Just use a sharp object to gently press in on the metal you can see on one side of the connector and gently pull the wire out.)  I couldn't find a clear explanation of what this connection's purpose is and I needed that pin, so out came the wire...  It took me quite a while to figure out what was happening and why I couldn't get anything to affect that pin...  :o

- The Olimex PIC-KIT3 has been awesome to use!  I had heard some not-so-good things about the Microchip product a while ago (probably just firmware-related stuff in the end) so I wasn't sure how things were going to go with the Olimex clone but it's been a real workhorse.  I love it!

BT711

John:

Did you get this resolved? I just bought a Pickit 3 and Olimex PIC-WEB and have had many issues... All of the above is additional issues I didnt know about. wow... lots to figure out for something that I bought to develop a design not troubleshoot my dev tools I bought!! scary!

JohnS

Looks like a Microchip error, so their forums or doc files might help.

At a guess it means the PICkit3 is fine but it or the IDE is unhappy with the target (e.g. have you selected one?  or has it got power? or ...?).

Some of Microchip's error messages may best be described as unhelpful.

John