ESP32 on A-20

Started by Arn, May 18, 2020, 01:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arn

Hi,

I have an A-20SOM204-EVB and I want to change the wifi module to an ESP32. I supose that is it posible thougth a UEXT but is it posible to switch with RTL8723BS and let free the UEXT?

LubOlimex

The Ethernet chip is located on the main A20-SOM204 board, it is not part of the bottom board. It would be impossible to remove it and place ESP32 instead. You can add ESP32 to the design tho, no problem about that.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

Arn

Sorry but I don't undestand.

The RTL8723BS is un the bottom board. There is another chip involved with it in the top board ?

If it's not posible to change for a ESP32 there is another chip compatible ?

Thanks for you time.

LubOlimex

Everything is possible but placing ESP32 instead of RTL8723BS would probably require designing own A20-SOM204-EVB bottom board and including software support in the Linux. That is the point of A20-SOM204-EVB - to give you some example design but you can tailor it according to your needs and include things that you need or you want to use and remove parts that you don't need. That is why the A20-SOM204-EVB part is open source hardware and it is a two-layer board and we provide design files for it and connectors layout and dimensions and so on.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

Arn

Yes, Thats the idea.

I have the board designed with the needs I have but I have problems obtaining the RTL8723BS in low quantities, fot that I want to change it.

Sorry for not being clear from the start.

I have one UEXT free, but I prefer to let it for future expansions. I saw some threads on the forum over the ESP32 and I saw that it can go with UEXT ( also I have some experience with it ), but I prefer one than can switch with RTL8723BS with the low software changes.

Is it another module compatible with the minium change on the Linux ?