Android + A20 + UVC-Support

Started by resources, February 28, 2014, 08:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

resources

Hello,

actually I was planning to buy a larger quantity of the A20-Board for my project, but now I'm facing a big problem.  :-\ As it seems, the provided Android Image doesn't include UVC-support, which is a must have for my project. (at least I don't know a better solution yet)

So it seems I would need to build my own android image, but building an android image for Olimex' A20-boards doesn't seem to be well documentated, according to many comments and Dave McLaughlin's blog?! (nice blog and thanks for the effort btw, keep it up pls @ Dave) I need a stable android version, which has all features of the official olimex release + UVC.

To put it in a nutshell: Does anyone know a cheap and space saving possibility to use a webcam + microphone with the android image released by olimex? Did anyone managed to build an android image yet, which includes all "official features" and runs stable? (just to know, whether it's worth to start even trying ^^) Or would it even possible for Olimex to release an android image with uvc-support?  :-[ :P

Thank you very much in advance and best regards  :)

Manny

dave-at-axon

Thanks for the compliments. I just got the notification LED to work with the LED connected to PH02. Unrelated but good learning exercise.

Never done camera with Android but this website looks interesting and talks about some of the issues.

http://www.infinitegra.co.jp/en/solution/AndroidUsbCam.htm

It all depends on how much work you are willing to put into the coding to add this to Android. :)

zokl

Hello, i try to build my own kernel with uvc support and android 4.2.2 and it works. I used this tutorial http://axonjakarta.wordpress.com/2014/02/14/olimex-a20-android-building-4/. Now, I have only one problem. I am not able to mount internal and External SD storage. Uvc audio and video access works perfectly.

resources

Hi, thank you very much for the info. It takes about 35 hours with my current computer configuration to build an android image. At first, I need to get a better computer. Is it maybe possible to upload your image? Thank you very much in advance.

dave-at-axon

I'll try and put the image in the same location as the source.

I'll include 2 versions. 1 for SD and 1 for NAND.

Give me a few days to sort this out as currently working on a few things. :)

zokl

Quote from: dave-at-axon on March 02, 2014, 06:13:43 AM
I'll try and put the image in the same location as the source.

I'll include 2 versions. 1 for SD and 1 for NAND.

Give me a few days to sort this out as currently working on a few things. :)

Thank you very much for it. I would like to try your NAND image.

resources

That sounds great, dave. Is it maybe possible to also include the blueZ- aka Bluetoothdriver, if it's not too much trouble for you?  :-[ :)

zokl

Quote from: resources on March 03, 2014, 06:40:41 AM
That sounds great, dave. Is it maybe possible to also include the blueZ- aka Bluetoothdriver, if it's not too much trouble for you?  :-[ :)

I am able to send you my image with uvc modules which is based on dave's sources.

resources

That would be awesome - would save me a lot of time.  ;D

zokl

I tried the uvc support in android 4.2.2. but without success :-(. Direct acces to uvc interface is working but the performance is very poor. Picture capture is OK wirh internal camera app but video recording is  bad. Good api  for external camera is from android version 4.3.

I tried ffmpeg v4l2 capturing too but the performance on android kernel was poor. Video quality was good but framerate was lower and frameloss high.

Now, I try the same configuration  in debian image and the performance of video recording is much better.