Hw video display

Started by otyugh, June 25, 2016, 05:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The jessie image provided by oliemx  will/does handle hw acceleration ?

y
0 (0%)
n
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

otyugh

Hey,
I'm using as desktop for some time a A20-micro ; which honestly works great : video acceleration was working in mplayer which was THE thing I could be happy of in comparison of all the other RPi device ; I could just use it as a normal desktop and pipe xclip, mplayer and youtube-dl in a little script and attaching to a key, I just had a "select a url = play the video in mplayer".

But, cause there is a but, when I tried to install the latest rev. (12) using jessie, HW acceleration wasn't there anymore.

So.
Well.
Is that normal ? Is there a little workaround ? Should I downgrade ?

LubOlimex

Hey,

The hardware acceleration should be enabled in the Jessie images also. How did you determine that it is turned off? Did you test with the same video that you used with the Wheezy release?

The problem might be related to the configuration of mplayer.

Anyway, if you don't have ant major reason to update to the Jessie releases, I would recommend sticking with the Wheezy ones - as long as they are more stable.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

otyugh

Quote from: LubOlimex on June 27, 2016, 03:41:45 PMHow did you determine that it is turned off? Did you test with the same video that you used with the Wheezy release?
Well I tried the exact same scripts (using "mplayer -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,ffodivxvdpau, -af volnorm" piped with youtube-dl)as on my wheezy distro, and the result was the same - read all the url video, only it grasped all the CPU and the output was laggy as hell.

I also did tried stuff around smplayer, and couldn't get any output, vdpau setting just resulting in not displaying any image at all.

Also yeah I tested the same videos that worked under wheezy. I don't what's up with that :'(
What I observed too is that moving around windows is laggy too, and it wasn't on a older release, I checked twice and definitvely... I don't know why. Don't you have theses problems using the image by yourself ?

QuoteAnyway, if you don't have ant major reason to update to the Jessie releases, I would recommend sticking with the Wheezy ones - as long as they are more stable.
Well I do agree, I may just head back. but the way was tricky, I had really a frankendebian with compiled stuff all the way around, it wasn't what I would call a clean setup... So I ended up trying to go to jessie !

If what you say is right, there is no reason I don't have HW support. Could someone confirm the issue ?
It's not too critical, I guess I'll try the unofficial other images and see if it fixes the issue, but I really wanted to use the less "untrusted input" as possible, so I would prefer stick with the olimex's image (best would be debian's but I don't have the skill/time to compile the stuff all by myself :( ).