A20 - Android Buttons

Started by mpehisto, March 04, 2014, 09:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpehisto

Hello,

i`m an newby and have a question.

There are a lot of Android hard buttons at the A20 Board, but not all of them at the the GPIO connector.

How can i power-off or recovery the board without the hard buttons?
It is possible t connect external buttons to the board?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Chris

dave-at-axon

Hi Chris,

I am working on a daughter board for the A20 myself and the lack of an external power button connection means I am going to have to connect a physical wire to the power button switch so that I can have a front panel mounted ON/OFF button.

I've imported the Eagle file and it definitely does not go anywhere else but from the switch to the APX power IC.

The menu, home, back, vol and search buttons are on GPIO1.

mpehisto

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

That means, that you solder two wires to the power button?

This idea I had already

dave-at-axon

I only need 1 wire. I have GROUND via the GPIO and UEXT connectors. I connect this 1 wire to my board and there is a ribbon cable that connects the front panel buttons to the main PCB :)

mpehisto

Quote from: dave-at-axon on March 04, 2014, 10:21:39 AM
Hi Chris,

I am working on a daughter board for the A20 myself and the lack of an external power button connection means I am going to have to connect a physical wire to the power button switch so that I can have a front panel mounted ON/OFF button.

Please let me know if your daughter board is ready. Much success in your work!

dave-at-axon

The board layout is done. I just need to check it over and then get the prototype PCB made up. Here's a 3D mockup with the A20 sitting on mounting pillars.

mpehisto

jess

Quote from: dave-at-axon on March 04, 2014, 11:15:31 AM
I only need 1 wire. I have GROUND via the GPIO and UEXT connectors. I connect this 1 wire to my board and there is a ribbon cable that connects the front panel buttons to the main PCB :)

Dave,
I'm running 2 twisted wires directly from PWR button to remote panel mounted push-button for the same reason. I looked for a "spare" pin on any of the A20 connectors and found none. I'm thinking of disconnecting one of the buttons and reuse the associated GPIO pin so I can use a ribbon cable instead.

Nice 3D - is that kicad?

dave-at-axon

Quote from: jess on March 05, 2014, 06:03:42 PM
I'm running 2 twisted wires directly from PWR button to remote panel mounted push-button for the same reason. I looked for a "spare" pin on any of the A20 connectors and found none. I'm thinking of disconnecting one of the buttons and reuse the associated GPIO pin so I can use a ribbon cable instead.

Hi Jess,

That's not a bad idea as it happens. GPIO3 is nice and close and PIN39 is easy to cut the track and link it with a small wire to the switch. There is a convenient through hole marked GND next to the mounting hole that could be used to pass the wire to the underside of the PCB. PIN39 is unlikely to be used unless you have a heap of GPIO, which is most probably not.

[/quote]
Nice 3D - is that kicad?
[/quote]

It's Altium Designer. :)

jess

Quote from: dave-at-axon on March 06, 2014, 03:18:25 AM
That's not a bad idea as it happens. GPIO3 is nice and close and PIN39 is easy to cut the track and link it with a small wire to the switch.

That's the one :)

Altium eh? Very nice indeed....