What is the exact meaning of "Evaluation Board/Kit Important Notice"

Started by c4ffein, October 15, 2016, 09:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c4ffein

On the product page there is a link to : https://www.olimex.com/Products/Disclamer/evaluation-board-notice/

I read "The user assumes all responsibility and liability for proper and safe handling of the goods. Further the user indemnifies OLIMEX from all claims arising from the handling or use of the goods."
I understand this was written for legal reasons, but does that imply that the product can be really unsafe? I want to buy an Olimex as a replacement to my raspberry pi (because it does not include a sata port), so it will be constantly running on my desk, even when I'm not around.
Is there a risk of the board starting a fire or anything? I haven't found this warning on the A10 product page.

Thanks in advance!

Ps : Sorry for my bad English

LubOlimex

The notice is quite clear. Our board pass no certification. From legal point of view they are not suitable for end customers.

On a side note, make sure that the surface of your desk does not conduct electricity. Or use rubber feet on the board. I've seen boards get damaged when powered and placed on conductive surfaces.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

DepressedDaniel

I thought I would clarify what "certification" the previous poster is referring to.

In many countries, certification is required for all consumer electronics to ensure that they do not have excessive electromagnetic radiation. Such radiation is produced whenever the current in a circuit changes (i.e., pretty often in digital electronics). Proper layout of a circuit board can usually keep radiation below the legal limits. The physics behind this is complicated but a simple solution is to use a ground plane in one of the layers of the circuit board, which solves the problem 99% of the time.

The reason for certification is to ensure that interference will not be generated for other devices that intentionally communicate using electromagnetic waves (e.g., cellular phones, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc).

However, certification is expensive as it requires renting expensive shielded laboratory space and complicated equipment to analyze electromagnetic radiation. The legal purpose of the notice is to clarify that the board is to be considered only a component of a fully working system and pass on the requirement to complete the certification to the whoever assembles a fully working system designed for an end consumer.

c4ffein

Thanks for these really explicit and interesting answers! I bought the A20 board and the official box so it won't get damaged.