Glitches using A20 as desktop from latest debian image

Started by otyugh, July 01, 2014, 07:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otyugh

There I go :
*) the standard 7" with olimex's cable flickers
-> Walkarounds : https://www.olimex.com/forum/index.php?topic=3052.0 (shorter cable, change the screen setup (kinda wizardry), or be good at electronic stuff :O)

*) the "suspend" power on the debian image is tricky by default, and no button seem to wake it up.
-> I personnaly disable it with "xset -dpms" in .xinitrc, no time to argue with it, but crappy config for saving up power :(

*) I can't listen to clementine and smplayer, I only get the sound of one or another
-> ...

*) I have "noise" in the speakers if the board is working heavy (dd-ing files, for instance)
-> ...

*) Sometimes I get "device not ready" on anything outputing sound. Few retry generally make it work.
-> ...

(If you were not a debian user before :

*) outdated software due to squeeze
-> we can use sid (3 commands : aptitude build-dep packagename; apt-get -b source packagename; dpkg -i packagename.deb)
)

MBR

Quote from: otyugh on July 01, 2014, 07:55:31 PM
*) I can't listen to clementine and smplayer, I only get the sound of one or another

AIAIK the default Debian image uses just ALSA, so if you want concurrent multiple access to sound device, you need a sound device with the hardware mixer (e.g. the Creative cards with EMU* chips). The A20 does not have it, so you must use either only one program at time, or a sound server like PulseAudio, which does the mixing in software.

Quote from: otyugh on July 01, 2014, 07:55:31 PM
*) I have "noise" in the speakers if the board is working heavy (dd-ing files, for instance)

Maybe the voltage of the power source is not "hard" enought and the fluctuactions grow with load. Try powering it from car battery - if the noise goes away, the culprit was the power source.

PS: If you want a good sound without noise, try external USB soundcart (and not the cheapest one).

dlombardo

I have updated https://www.olimex.com/forum/index.php?topic=3052.0 on issues with the LCD 10" monitor.

SOLUTION:
Boot A20 Debian release 7 (current wiki linked) image on a card with HDMI monitor (and USB keyboard /w mouse for convenience)
Change the lcd_io_cfg0 from 0 to 268435456 setting for the LCD 10" in /root/change_display_a20_OlinuXino.sh
(I find it cleanly writen using switch/case syntax  8))
and rerun /root/change_display_a20_OlinuXino.sh

sudo vi /root/change_display_a20_OlinuXino.sh
sudo /root/change_display_a20_OlinuXino.sh

dlombardo

Also, there is an old post regarding the official Debian Olimex releases that was left unanswered.

Where can we find release notes - e.g. changes between the releases.

Also there are two wikis on building the Debian image, but as I understand the Ultimate Debian build notes cover only changes for the release 5.

Is there a git repo for the official Olimex Debian release ?

If not, please make one, it would be good to be able to:

1. Install the toolchain
2. Checkout official Olimex Debian image (source files)
3. Make image