PIC32-WEB- SPI Demo menu not showing up on hyperterminal

Started by bmermels, June 04, 2013, 05:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmermels

Hi,

After programming my PIC32-WEB using MPLAB and pickit3, I could not get the menu for the SPI demo program on the board's web page to show up on hyperterminal.

I followed the instructions in the text file (see below) of the program folder very carefully but I can't seem to get past this step.   

Maybe the RS-232 cable I am using is not correct. Or maybe the program is not properly downloaded in the microchip. I don't know. I tried various types of rs-232 cables and tried reprogramming the software and the menu does not appear.

The instructions for the PIC32-WEB are listed below:

To run "PIC32-WEB_SPI_Demo" on Olimex's "PIC32-WEB" board is required:
1. Program "PIC32-WEB" on-board microcontroller "PIC32MX460F512L-80I/PT" with "PIC32-WEB_SPI_Demo.hex"
2. Remove "PIC32-WEB" power supply and insert "MOD-ENC624J600" board into corresponding EXT1 and ExT2 connectors.
   Then connect "MOD-ENC624J600's" UEXT and "PIC32-WEB's" UEXT connectors via cable.
3. Check and make sure that all "MOD-ENC624J600" and "PIC32-WEB" jumper are set to be in SPI Mode.
   Correct jumpers positions are shown in "PIC32-WEB" schematic. (See the drawn table, column  "Connected to SPI2" )
4. Connect LAN cable into "MOD-ENC624J600" LAN connector.
5. Make physical connection between your computer and "PIC32-WEB's" RS232 connector, open terminal and set it to:
   115200 bits/sec, 8 data bits, No Parity, 1 Stop Bit
6. Insert again Power Supply into "PIC32-WEB's" power jack and you have to see on terminal

**** Welcom to OLIMEX PIC32-WEB Demo program! *****
            ------ -------- ----------
           | LED  | Status | Emoticon |
           | LED1 |   OFF  |  :(     |
           | LED2 |   OFF  |  :(     |
           | LED3 |   OFF  |  :(     |

7. Load "PIC32-WEB's" demo web page like just open your web browser and type "http://pic32-web/". Default IP addres is: 192.168.0.77
8. Enjoy "PIC32-WEB" demo!

Someone help please!!!

LubOlimex

Hey bmermels,

Glad you got it going. If isn't much of a problem for you, please, share your findings about the problem and how you solved it.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

bmermels

First off, the problem (hyperterminal demo menu not showing up) had to do with programming the PIC32-WEB board in MPLAB. The text file in the SPI demo program folder was not very specific on how to program the board correctly. I loaded the hex file like the text file said but instead of programming the device, I only sent the image to the pickit3. (Programmer tab - Settings - -Programmer to go tab- Send Image to Memory)I pressed the programmer to go button thinking the image would transfer to the board. These were the pickit3 manual's instructions if I remember correctly. I felt like an idiot when under the programmer tab in MPLAB there was a program option that I didn't notice. After programming the board correctly, the hyperterminal menu appeared.

In conclusion, I think there should be much more documentation and instruction on how to program the PIC32-WEB somewhere on the web page or in the demo folders so someone else doesn't waste time trying to get past this step.

-bmermels     

LubOlimex

Hey bmermels,

You are correct that most of our documentation is not clear enough. Trying to improve it.

Thanks for the feedback.

P.S.: There is a new example for PIC32-WEB + MOD-ENC624J600, based on the latest official TCP/IP stack. You may get it from here: https://www.olimex.com/Products/PIC/Development/PIC32-WEB/resources/PIC32-WEB_5.42.zip.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex