March 28, 2024, 07:15:23 PM

External Antenna

Started by jwschull, November 15, 2015, 10:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwschull

I'm thinking on putting a higher gain antenna (other than the trace antenna).  I know I need a Rf Coax Connector and it looks like I have to close SJ2.  Is that all that's required?  Do I need to lift C5?

jwschull

Been 5 days, no response from tech support.  Lots of views.  I guess I just have to experiment.

kylix

Did you manage to connect the external antenna? Any component that you had to remove for disabling the PCB one?

olimex

this forum is not support channel, if you have support question please use support@olimex.com

LubOlimex

You also need to remove the C5 capacitor. So, in total, you need to close SJ2 jumper and remove C5 capacitor. Soldering SJ2 together - enables the external antenna pads; and removing C5 capacitor disconnects the built-in PCB antenna. Refer to the schematic for better understanding: https://github.com/OLIMEX/ESP8266/blob/master/HARDWARE/MOD-WIFI-ESP8266-DEV/MOD-WiFi-ESP8266-DEV%20revision%20B1/MOD-WiFi-ESP8266-DEV_Rev_B1.pdf

The external antenna should be connected to the "ANT_CON" connector (find the white print on top of the boards).

There are a lot of sources that describe suitable antennas for ESP8266. Make sure to check some of these sources available online.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex