Configuration for outdoor time display?

Started by bsrdjan, February 15, 2013, 08:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsrdjan

I need to install 7 inch or bigger display outside of the building (outdoor), to display the time, therefore the industrial temperature range is required.

The information on current time shall come from Olimex A13, installed in the building, approx. 10 meters away from the display.

I am thinking about Olimex LCD 7" display, which has industrial temperature range, but the connector can't be 10 m long, also not sure if the display is good for the daylight?

Another alternative could be industrial LCD monitor for outdoor but I have no experience with such equipment, is probably very expensive?

I would appreciate to hear experience from similar projects & thoughts how to solve the problem.

BTW, I found out there is no Olimex with video output available with industrial temp. range.

jwischka

Quote from: bsrdjan on February 15, 2013, 08:46:02 PM
I need to install 7 inch or bigger display outside of the building (outdoor), to display the time, therefore the industrial temperature range is required.

The information on current time shall come from Olimex A13, installed in the building, approx. 10 meters away from the display.

I am thinking about Olimex LCD 7" display, which has industrial temperature range, but the connector can't be 10 m long, also not sure if the display is good for the daylight?

Another alternative could be industrial LCD monitor for outdoor but I have no experience with such equipment, is probably very expensive?

I would appreciate to hear experience from similar projects & thoughts how to solve the problem.

BTW, I found out there is no Olimex with video output available with industrial temp. range.

I wouldn't be *too* worried about the temperature range. The A13 doesn't put out enough heat that you're going to cook the thing, even if it's in a box. I'd be surprised if, again, even in a box in direct sunlight, in the middle of a very hot, humid environment, you would get significantly over 65C, and I would suspect that the A13 would take that level of heat more or less indefinitely.

In terms of application, Is there some reason you wouldn't consider sticking the A13 outside near the board to reduce connector distance? With wifi functionality (or a USB wifi adapter) you should be able to more than reach the 10m to the building, and you're going to need a network connection anyway to get the time via NTP. It would seem to me that the combo (board + LCD) with an enclosure would be what you're looking to do, with a wireless link back to the building.

At least, if I'm understanding your problem correctly.

bsrdjan

yes, the understanding is correct.

Placing A13 outside, near the board, would be perfect but the problems could be low temperatures as well. A13 supports 0 deg Celsius and in the region can be -10 to -20.

It seems some kind of heating could be needed...

jwischka

Quote from: bsrdjan on February 15, 2013, 09:51:57 PM
yes, the understanding is correct.

Placing A13 outside, near the board, would be perfect but the problems could be low temperatures as well. A13 supports 0 deg Celsius and in the region can be -10 to -20.

It seems some kind of heating could be needed...

Generally this can be accomplished with a lightbulb.

respawnd

Quote from: bsrdjan on February 15, 2013, 09:51:57 PM

I just purchased the A13 because it was rated at -25 to 85 C operating.  The 4.3" LCD is rated at -20 to 70 C operating.  Can you tell me what part of the A13 setup would not conform to the specs?

Thanks.