Wifi issues on A13-OLINUXINO-WIFI board

Started by hoyle, June 23, 2013, 07:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnS

Maybe that image is setting wrong voltage somewhere?  Who made the image and what voltages does it set I wonder?

People have made mistakes before around that, such as mixing parts of cubieboard & cubietruck.

If you're lucky it simply doesn't work at all but if unlucky then it "works" - sort of - and then later you find maybe things like hot chips.

As I recall it's u-boot in these images that sets the volts and it uses data specific to the board design but it's quite easy to have wrong values.

Similar issues with memory timings/etc e.g. LIME2 is not same as LIME.

John

asmecher

Hi John,

Just looking at my A13 board, there's what appears to be a 3V/5V set of jumper pads near the wifi module, fixed at 5V. On the wifi daughter board, at the very bottom, there's a 3V/5V jumper pad set that's also fixed at 5V. So it appears that both are set for 5V, for what it's worth.

Regards,
Alec

arkoan

Dear all,

After read all of pages, I finally think about something... I write today because as you, I have this connection problem that crashes wifi as soon as the data stream increases. First I wanted to know exactly when it failed to caractérize the fault. In fact, my connection to the console over SSH worked perfectly but, as you, when I tryed an "apt-get update", the wifi crashed.
I first thank about a bottle neck (that is the track to follow I think). Then, I tryed to download a piece by limiting the transfert rate : wget --limit-rate http://... . (If my theory of bottle neck is correct, low rates should work). I started with 1ko/s transfert rate a download a 11Mo file. And it succed. Then I increased the rate to 2ko/s and 5ko/s. At 5ko/s it failed.
After validating this bottle-neck theory, I tried to check first what I could. I found that the speed of usb port was not the same for each.
cat /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1/speed -> 480
cat /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb2/speed -> 480
cat /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb3/speed -> 12

Even if I don't really know what is the port used by the wifi dongle, I would imagine that a limitation could be possible.

In order to get arround this, I thought about unsolder the wifi dongle, solder an USB plug and try it on the port usb1.

That is what I did and It works now as expected. Here is a console extract where I downloaded a file that crashed previously :

root@a13-OLinuXino:~# wget https://nodejs.org/dist/v4.2.1/node-v4.2.1-linux-x86.tar.gz
--2015-10-15 19:07:00--  https://nodejs.org/dist/v4.2.1/node-v4.2.1-linux-x86.tar.gz
Resolving nodejs.org (nodejs.org)... 104.20.23.46, 104.20.22.46, 2400:cb00:2048:1::6814:162e, ...
Connecting to nodejs.org (nodejs.org)|104.20.23.46|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 11231892 (11M) [application/gzip]
Saving to: `node-v4.2.1-linux-x86.tar.gz.1'

100%[==========================================================>] 11,231,892   719K/s   in 16s

We can see here that 11Mo @ 700Ko/sec works perfectly.

I have now an usb port less but I have wifi... so, please, if you can help me to find out how to set correctly the usb speed it could be great.