Is it possible to use an external DAC like FiiO E10 ?

Started by miloose, October 09, 2013, 10:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miloose

Hello.

Can someone tell me if I can use an external DAC with the Android OS of the A20 ? Like the Fiio E10 (http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-e10) ? Does it work out of the box ?

Normally, Android supports USB DAC from Android 4.1 (through the USB OTG on smartphones), but I want to be sure that this feature is implemented in the A20 version.

Thanks a lot

Tom

Quote from: miloose on October 09, 2013, 10:46:15 PM
Hello.

Can someone tell me if I can use an external DAC with the Android OS of the A20 ? Like the Fiio E10 (http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-e10) ? Does it work out of the box ?

Normally, Android supports USB DAC from Android 4.1 (through the USB OTG on smartphones), but I want to be sure that this feature is implemented in the A20 version.

Thanks a lot

Do you need it to be the Fiio E10 (because you already bought it) ? I was VERY disappointed with the quality of this dac. If you compare it with the cheaper hifimediy es9023, the e10 is just waste of money.
I have both here and none of them works directly. Android 4.1 does not recognise them, no sound out. I had to use the app "usb audio recorder" and then the hifimediy was recognised and worked (but only in this limited app). No way for the e10. I did not try android 4.2, perhaps it works with this newer version.

Good luck and plz drop a note, if you get it to work.

miloose

I have already bought the E10. Up till now, I am pretty happy with it, but I must say that I have only used it with earphones, not yet on my hifi setup.

My plan was to use the A20 as a spotify player (I have a premium account). My first choice would be with a debian OS, but apparently it's not easy to have a user-friendly setup with spotify on a arm processor (but I've seen several solutions on progress). So I wanted to start with the Android version.

I have ordered an A20 that I should receive this week. I will keep you updated.

miloose

I have received the A20 with the 4.2.2 Android on the NAND. The Fiio E10 is not recognized, nothing happens when I connect it on the USB port. The E10 is powered up, but the sound output is still on the jack on the a20 board.
I suppose that the USB sound is not implemented in the kernel. Could this be done in a future update ?

I will try with a debian image in the next coming days.

Tom

Quote from: miloose on October 17, 2013, 10:47:41 AM
I have received the A20 with the 4.2.2 Android on the NAND. The Fiio E10 is not recognized, nothing happens when I connect it on the USB port. The E10 is powered up, but the sound output is still on the jack on the a20 board.
I suppose that the USB sound is not implemented in the kernel. Could this be done in a future update ?

I will try with a debian image in the next coming days.

Did you also try the usb otg port ? Its android, perhaps this will help. What about the app i tried above ?

miloose

I don't have a mini-USB OTG cable now, so I can't try on this port.
I have tried with the app USB audio tester, but the Fiio isn't recognized.

I can see it with the command "busybox lsusb" in the terminal, but nothing more... I suppose that the snd-usb-audio module is not integreted in the kernel.

I will try with the Debian OS (I first have to buy a micro SD card...) and keep this post updated.