Issues with A20 (probably Android 4.2.2. related)

Started by neslekkim, September 29, 2013, 04:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neslekkim

I have the A20 with 4GB NAND, and have tried the already installed android, 4.2.2

It's not possible to get the board running using the USB-otg on mine? using battery and/or power using 2.1mm plug is fine (the docs should mention that it's positive center, adapters I bought in norway have often negative center, but I measured this first of course :) )

I got Ethernet to work when I first started the board, the lights on the ethernet sockets light up, and I could enable ethernet and get out on internet.
Then I wanted to test an Wifi plug ( http://www.adafruit.com/products/814 ) I plugged this in, but did not take out the ethernet cable, this wifi plug is obviosly not supported, uses chipset RTl8192cu, and the supported one is RTL8188CU)
After this, It's not possible to get Ethernet up and running again, not possible to get the lights running on the ethernet socket, is this some bug that made android confused?

Android also crashes/hangs(?) after 4-5 minutes of use, is this bcause I dont have touchscreen, so it only turn of the screen? (I still have mouse and keyboard connected, but cannot wake it to life)

I'm going to try debian if I can get it on my sd card (I hope I can put that one on nand?), some linux will probably be the main os on this anyway.

btw, is this the correct place to ask such questions?

pinnchus

Quote from: neslekkim on September 29, 2013, 04:04:39 PM
I have the A20 with 4GB NAND, and have tried the already installed android, 4.2.2

It's not possible to get the board running using the USB-otg on mine? using battery and/or power using 2.1mm plug is fine (the docs should mention that it's positive center, adapters I bought in norway have often negative center, but I measured this first of course :) )

I got Ethernet to work when I first started the board, the lights on the ethernet sockets light up, and I could enable ethernet and get out on internet.
Then I wanted to test an Wifi plug ( http://www.adafruit.com/products/814 ) I plugged this in, but did not take out the ethernet cable, this wifi plug is obviosly not supported, uses chipset RTl8192cu, and the supported one is RTL8188CU)
After this, It's not possible to get Ethernet up and running again, not possible to get the lights running on the ethernet socket, is this some bug that made android confused?

Look if the module is in place, if not you can try at your own risk this one  http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?2167-Step-by-Step-instruction-for-using-USB-WLAN-Dongle-to-speedup-MK808

Android also crashes/hangs(?) after 4-5 minutes of use, is this bcause I dont have touchscreen, so it only turn of the screen? (I still have mouse and keyboard connected, but cannot wake it to life)

use keyboard and the power button

I'm going to try debian if I can get it on my sd card (I hope I can put that one on nand?), some linux will probably be the main os on this anyway.

No nand support for debian yet

btw, is this the correct place to ask such questions?

Yes

neslekkim

the powerbutton (close to power) did not do the trick, and same with keyboard, no action at all.
and ethernet is still dead, no blinking lights, not possible to turn it on, but they blinks away in debian (even if I cannot get it to work yet)

pinnchus

look weird..., do you have an USB->TTL serial adapter to see the UART0 ?
Regards,

neslekkim

aha, so I will get debug output from there?, have to try that, but now my a20 is in the living room, hooked onto my tv, only place with hdmi.

pinnchus

You can use uart without HDMI  ;) and see what happend.

Regards,

neslekkim

After some time (longer than android), the debian also shut down the screen, not possible to wake it up.

When I left it for a few minutes, the screen went black, but no problems to wake it up, just move the mouse, or press a key, but later I left it for longer time, 10-15 minutes maybe, and after that its not possible to turn it on again, not with the powerbutton either.

Do debian go into some sleep?, I thought powerbutton should wake it, but how do I find out about this?