Experience with long distance wifi adapter

Started by wsteven, July 16, 2014, 05:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsteven

So anyone here had some experience with some powerful wifi adapter? Like AR9271, RTL8187, RT2770, RT2570.
As far I'm concerned I've tried with the 2 first ones and none would work on my A20 board, and I'm surprised not seeing much post on these devices.
The RTL8188 sold doesn't have an RP-SMA connector, so no high-gain antenna possible.

Any comment on this would be appreciated.

JohnS

When you tried those, did you config in any way? Did the drivers load?  What else did you do?

John

wsteven

Hello John, and thank you for your time.

I didn't configure much, I tried configuring interface directly with iwconfig, wpa_supplicant and through network-manager. Drivers are loading perfectly. Here are the things I tried with AR9271 : https://www.olimex.com/forum/index.php?topic=3450.0.
With RTL8187, scanning is ok, associating as well, dhcp as well, but I'm never able to ping the router. Seems like last step isn't going through. I don't remember exactly what was the problem, I could dump some output as well for this one if you wish.

Steven

JohnS

Your AR9271 isn't working at all from what I see.  You mentioned another Ubuntu computer but do you mean an Allwinner chip-based one?

You might do better on the linux-sunxi mailing list.

Your RTL sounds to be working but some other problem like Linux network config.

John

wsteven

John, the ubuntu is on x64.

I'll try with linux-sunxi. Thank you again.

JohnS

x64 or any Intel/AMD stuff is not ARM so everything changes around drivers etc.  (Of course the firmware loaded across to the target I/O device doesn't change if that device hasn't changed.)

Your RTL one sounds easier to figure out.

John