A20 and motors

Started by empedokles, October 24, 2013, 05:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empedokles

QuoteThis means that the program will be a little slower and more complicated. Sensors need to query and not wait until the report change.

So it isn't event-based? Will this be different on the Raspi?

Tom

Quote from: empedokles on November 01, 2013, 01:02:03 AM
QuoteThis means that the program will be a little slower and more complicated. Sensors need to query and not wait until the report change.

Yes, the raspi has event based gpios. I experienced massive timing problems with the a20s gpios compared to the raspi. And "little slower" is not true, it kills the performance really bad, if you want to keep the delay very low. Sometimes you can even miss an event.

empedokles

Quote from: Tom on November 02, 2013, 03:29:47 AM
Quote from: empedokles on November 01, 2013, 01:02:03 AM

Yes, the raspi has event based gpios. I experienced massive timing problems with the a20s gpios compared to the raspi. And "little slower" is not true, it kills the performance really bad, if you want to keep the delay very low. Sometimes you can even miss an event.

Thank you for your honest reply on that, Tom. Shall I look into the BBB as well or won't it come with event-based gpios. Technically the BBB appeals more to me, but their community seems much smaller, there are a bunch of tutorials on adafruit though.

blejku

One more thing
Depends on how long an event .. Or rather, with what resolution and accuracy to be recorded. With very short events can help yourself electronics. You can also use the shift register. GPIO ports is a lot.

empedokles

Quote from: blejku on November 03, 2013, 02:53:29 PM
One more thing
Depends on how long an event .. Or rather, with what resolution and accuracy to be recorded. With very short events can help yourself electronics. You can also use the shift register. GPIO ports is a lot.

What is a short event? What are shift registers? :-)

blejku

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shift_register

short .. :-) For example, being one millionth of a second

frafra

What about connecting A10/A20 to OLIMEXINO-85-ASM for example? Wouldn't be easier to control a motor like servo motor MS-R-1.3-9 from an Arduino like device?

dave-at-axon

Or better still, find a motor controller with a serial interface. Your lack of electronics experience will mean a lot of work trying to get this working with GPIO as you'll need to know how to wire it up.

frafra

I found this interesting project for Raspberry Pi: http://pythonhosted.org/RPIO/pwm_py.html#rpio-pwm-servo
Is it possible to do the same with A20?