Android system with CANbus

Started by KeesZagers, October 17, 2013, 05:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeesZagers

Hello,

I'm a satisfied user of the Olimex Duinomite Mega and eMega with CANbus. Now I'm looking for an open Android system, which I also like to connect to a CANbus. So I'm investigating the possibilities:

1. As far as I can see it should be possible to use the A20 OLinuXino with a USB (master) connection to the Duinomite Mega and run some kind of terminal app on the OLinuXino. All other standard USB-CAN interfaces are more expensive I believe.

2. The new Sitara AM3352 processor, which is still planned I presume, has a built-in CAN interface I believe. This however will not be connected to the outside world probably. Or am I wrong here?

3. Ofcourse I can add my own hardware to the module. As far as I can see I have 2 possibilities, either use the UEXT interface or the GPIO connector. As far as I have seen no standard CAN hardware is available for these interfaces. So it would be dedicated hardware. Concerning the software for Linux there are two open source projects CAN4Linux and SocketCAN to be integrated. I still have to google for implementations within Android for these projects. Anyone suggestions for this option.

Kees

dave-at-axon

Hi Kees,

I found this through a search and realise it was posted some time ago. I was wondering if you got anywhere with this?

I am looking at the A20 board and PH20 and PH21 are free on the GPIO3 connector. These can be configured for the built in CAN controller. I am tying with the idea to enable this and see if I can use it to talk to a CAN network. It will be a custom one so protocols are not required, just basic CAN stuff.

The Android Linux kernel doesn't have an A20 driver so this would need to be developed. I am wondering if this is possible and just how much work it would take?

zejulios

I am also interested on this.
If someone has gone thru I would like to know his thoughts.

pankajmisra