MSP430-JTAG-TINY-V2 and Rowley CrossStudio - does anything work?

Started by mrfluff, September 17, 2015, 09:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrfluff

Hi,

Has anybody got the MSP430-JTAG-TINY-V2 talking to anything (but specifically an MSP430-P2618 prototype board) in Rowley's CrossStudio v2 or v3? If they have can they share the secret please?

Cheers,
Matt

LubOlimex

Hey mrfluff,

All versions of Rowley Crossworks for MSP430 should work with MSP430-JTAG-TINY-V2.

I just downloaded and tested CrossStudio for MPS430 version 3.0.0 and it seems to connect fine with MSP430-JTAG-TINY-V2. My hardware setup included a MSP430-JTAG-TINY-V2 and our development board MSP430-P2274 that has MSP430F2274. I edited the built-in configuration called "MSP-FET430UIF(V2)" since our debuggers use TI protocol V2, anyway. I also tested adding a new target DLL interface and it also works fine as long as you follow the recommendation in the next paragraph.

I also tested with Rowley Crossworks for MSP430 version 2.2.0. It also works, albeit consider the note about the dll loading below.

Note that I encountered a problem initially (Can't load DLL) – it seemed like the IDE couldn't find the olimex.dll file. I had some difficulties pointing to the dll file in the interface! It seemed like it doesn't point properly, especially if you try to copy-paste the location of the file or if you write it down. I finally had to use the "browse" button to navigate and point to the olimex.dll (if there is no "browse" button – delete everything in the "Target Driver DLL Path" field and the "browse" button would appear). Refer to picture below:

For my successful connection refer to the screenshot:

I wasn't able to test whether programming and debugging works fine, however, since I don't have a license for Rowley's products.

It might be a good idea to report this problem to Rowley – I believe there is a bug in that GUI box and the code behind it.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex