driver for MCS7830

Started by Oclistediscussion, December 12, 2012, 09:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oclistediscussion

Hello

Sorry, but i don't find the package with MCS7830 in http://mirror.archlinuxarm.org/arm/

I download all .db.tar.gz and no "mcs" inside

thanks

jlumme

What are you actually trying to do ?
There is a driver for that controller in at least 3.6 kernel (CONFIG_USB_NET_MCS7830)

Oclistediscussion

Quote from: jlumme on December 13, 2012, 03:55:36 AM
What are you actually trying to do ?
There is a driver for that controller in at least 3.6 kernel (CONFIG_USB_NET_MCS7830)

I'm trying to use a usb-ethernet adaptator.

jlumme

Ok. You should reconfigure your kernel with that flag (CONFIG_USB_NET_MCS7830) and rebuild your kernel (or just the modules, if you prefer), it should work after that.
I recommend using menuconfig (instead of just editing it directly in .config file) if there are some dependencies that need to be enabled as well

So for example if you're using arm-linux-gnueabi- as your compiler, you can edit the kernel configuration:
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- menuconfig

If you're not compiling your own kernel, you'll need to either look into that, or get the running kernel header files and source code for the driver. The driver needs to be compiled against running kernel..

Oclistediscussion

Quote from: jlumme on December 14, 2012, 02:06:24 AM
Ok. You should reconfigure your kernel with that flag (CONFIG_USB_NET_MCS7830) and rebuild your kernel (or just the modules, if you prefer), it should work after that.
I recommend using menuconfig (instead of just editing it directly in .config file) if there are some dependencies that need to be enabled as well

So for example if you're using arm-linux-gnueabi- as your compiler, you can edit the kernel configuration:
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- menuconfig

If you're not compiling your own kernel, you'll need to either look into that, or get the running kernel header files and source code for the driver. The driver needs to be compiled against running kernel..

Ok, and where can i find the source code or the driver ?
thanks.

jlumme

Easiest thing to do would be to recompile your kernel, since it already has driver source code inside.
I highly recommend trying that first.

However, there seems to be a some version 1.11 source code in http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php?op=pItemdetail&PItemID=109;74;109&PLine=74
But it says for kernel 2.6.x, so you might have to do additional work to get it working.

Once more, I suggest to enable the support in your own kernel.

Oclistediscussion

Quote from: jlumme on December 14, 2012, 10:48:10 AM
Easiest thing to do would be to recompile your kernel, since it already has driver source code inside.
I highly recommend trying that first.

However, there seems to be a some version 1.11 source code in http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php?op=pItemdetail&PItemID=109;74;109&PLine=74
But it says for kernel 2.6.x, so you might have to do additional work to get it working.

Once more, I suggest to enable the support in your own kernel.

Ok thanks, i'll recompile kernel.