Need help in copying the image in sd card using Ubuntu

Started by khamar24, February 15, 2013, 01:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khamar24

Hi,
    Iam newbie to this forum and A13-OLinuXino, I bought A13-OLinuXino yesterday. I was not able to copy the image in sd card using Ubuntu.

ellecieffe

Hi Khamar24.

-download an image of jwischka
-unzip this in the home

-Put the card in

-Launch gparted
  -format the card as one block fat32.
  -note the name of your microSD

-by terminal type
sudo dd bs=4M oflag=sync if=/home/olinuxino_xfce-r17.img  of=/dev/X

where X is the uSD card.

-make sure dd finished without errors.

-put the card in your board and enjoy with it ! :D

khamar24

Dear ellecieffe,
                Thanks for ur reply. Can u plz give me some links related to jwischka image.
When i powered up my board by connecting usb keyboard and mouse, either keyboard or mouse is                 getting activated(without sd card)

ellecieffe

To better understand the functioning of olinuxino I suggest you read the wiki page. https://www.olimex.com/wiki/A13-OLinuXino
In particular the page on the use of the SD card https://www.olimex.com/wiki/Prebuilt_SD_card_images_running_debian
then I suggest you download the image created by jwischka, here you can find the related topic https://www.olimex.com/forum/index.php?topic=537.0
Remember that to make this you need a card 4 GB.
A question: how are you going to see the output of your olinuxino? LCD, VGA, USB to TTL serial cable?

jwischka

FYI, you don't need to partition the card - DD will write all the partitioning information for you.

Quote from: ellecieffe on February 15, 2013, 02:04:58 PM
Hi Khamar24.

-download an image of jwischka
-unzip this in the home

-Put the card in

-Launch gparted
  -format the card as one block fat32.
  -note the name of your microSD

-by terminal type

where X is the uSD card.

-put the card in your board and enjoy with it ! :D

khamar24

Dear ellecieffe and jwischka,
           Thanks for ur reply. Pls give me some details like where to start and how to start. I had  A13-OLinuXino(without WIFI) with me. I copied debian image in 8GB sd card. But, if i go to the properties of the card, Its capacity is on 16Mb. Pls help me in proceeding further.

ellecieffe

Hi khamar24
It is normal if you looked at the card from a windows OS, because the partition for linux has an extension that windows can not detect. However, have you tried to put the micro in the board and  to boot?

jwischka

Quote from: khamar24 on February 16, 2013, 09:35:41 AM
Dear ellecieffe and jwischka,
           Thanks for ur reply. Pls give me some details like where to start and how to start. I had  A13-OLinuXino(without WIFI) with me. I copied debian image in 8GB sd card. But, if i go to the properties of the card, Its capacity is on 16Mb. Pls help me in proceeding further.

You cannot just copy the image to the card - you have to image the card either using the program in the first post of my thread (if you use windows), or dd (if you use linux).

dd if=image_file_name_here of=path_to_sd_card_here

So if your SD card is /dev/sdb and the image file is in your directory

dd if=olinuxino_xfce-R17.img of=/dev/sdb

Then take your card and put it in the board. After a few seconds, you should see something come up on the VGA port.

khamar24

Dear ellecieffe,
               Yeah... I tried to put the micro card  in the board and  to boot. I dint get any output through VGA. Pls help me
in formatting the card and the link for the image file and also how to start using the board.

ellecieffe

I do not know how what is written above might be clearer,however

-try to format the card with Gparted  as one block fat32. (you must read and understand this before http://gparted.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=help-manual )

-download an image of jwischka, here you can find the related topic https://www.olimex.com/forum/index.php?topic=537.0
Downloading image:
Get current version (R17) here. 

-download this and unzip in the home

-by terminal type
where X is the uSD card.

-put the card in your board and boot

This is all ;)

vaishali

hi khamar24,

you just don't need to formatt your card.
you just download the R15 or R17 whichever is latest image of jwischka and unzip it so you will get .img file.
now you just use following commands if you have R15 IMAGE,

Is /dev/sd

above command will tell you the name of your sd card.
now write the image in your card by following command if your card is sdb else you write the name of your card in place of sdb.

dd if=olinuxino_xfce-r15.img of=/dev/sdb

at this time you connect your UART1 on the olinuxino board to your computer with serial to USB connector.

connect following pins of UART1 to your serial to usb connectors serial side,

UART1 PINS   SERIAL PINS
GND           GND
TX            RX
RX            TX   

then connect USB connector to your pc and write down the following command to know the name of your USB to serial connector .
this connection is required to see boot sequences in your pc on serial port terminal.
there are many terminals are available but i have used putty terminal to see boot sequences.
at first you connect your USB to serial connector's USB to your pc and the serial to your OLINUXINO'S UART1 connector.
then load the driver and putty terminal by following commands in your ubuntu.

(1)connect USB to serial cable to one of the USB port of your pc.
(2)open the terminal by pressing ctrl+Alt+t.
(3)become a supper user by writing following command,
   sudo su
(4)list all usb devices by writing following command,
   lsusb
(5)you will see below line if you have the same cable as i have (PL2303).
   Bus 002 device 002 : ID 067b:2303 prolific technology, Inc. PL2303 serial port
(6)Attach the USB port to be used as serial port device by writing following command,

modeprobe usbserial vendor=0x067b product=0x2303

(7)ensure it has been properly attached as tty device by writing following command ,
   dmesg
(8)many lines will come and you will successfully add a tty device with name "ttyUSB0".
(9)now you download and install putty to see boot sequences by writing following command,
   apt-get install putty
(10)once it is installed write down the following command to open putty teeminal.
    putty
(11)select connection type as "serial". (JUST DON'T WRITE THE INVERTED COMMAS THEY ARE JUST TO HIGHLIGHT THE NAMES )
(12)select line as "/dev/ttyUSB0".
(13)set speed as "115200".
(14)make sure the serial cable is connected with UART1 in OLINUXINO BOARD.
(15)press "open "  in putty.
(16)now you just connect your sd card in the board and then give it power with the power cable.
so now you should see boot sequences in the putty terminal of your computer.
After few seconds you will see something like linaro ubuntu 13.01 (if you have r15 image in your sd card)in your VGA screen.
then write down "startx" in your VGA screen with the keyboard connected to the A13 olinuxin board.
after few seconds you will have your linaro ubuntu runing from youe sd card in your A13 olinuxino board...
hope this will help you.
please let me know if this works for you or not.

dinks

khamar24

Dear ellecieffe,
               The output of the terminal after dd is

sudo dd bs=4M oflag=sync if=/home/essl/olinuxino_xfce-r17.img  of=/dev/sdb1
945+1 records in
945+1 records out
3965190144 bytes (4.0 GB) copied, 956.195 s, 4.1 MB/s

khamar24

Dear ellecieffe,
               Finally it got worked. First copied the image using dd. But, there was no use. Then copied using
win32 disk imager and finally its working. Thanks a lot