Screen flickering only with X11 Desktop manager

Started by mushketer888, November 08, 2014, 02:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mushketer888

Strange but LCD screen is flickering only with X11 and some dekstop manager
For example x-screensaver doesnt flicker at all!
And terminal also (ctrl-f1 etc)
What can be the cause?

mushketer888

Very strange
I edited fex to

lcd_io_cfg0 = 268435456

and all worked well

martinayotte

Effectively !
I've recently upgraded to A20-Debian-release8 (I was using rel4), and I had to tweak lcd_io_cfg0 again.
I don't know why this old issue isn't fixed forever in newer releases.

rouvas

Where was that value you edited? In some config file?

JohnS

rouvas

I am using A13-LCD10TS. To be honest, I haven't observed any flickering, but then I'm not loading LXDE either. I stop at openbox.

martinayotte

I'm using both LCD10TS and LCD7TS and I was facing the this flickering issue since the beginning until last June, when I discovered a thread where someone find a fix using lcd_io_cfg0 = 268435456 in FEX file, I've apply this fix and since then, I don't have the issue anymore.
The flickering was intermittent depending of the contrast of the background images used in my application.
I think this fix should be permanent in /root/change_display_a20_olimex.sh but it isn't there yet.

dave-at-axon

That value is hex 0x10000000 and sets bit 28 of the TCON0_IO_POL_REG to 1 and I mentioned this here before:

https://www.olimex.com/forum/index.php?topic=2933.msg13211#msg13211

Still not found out what it changes as limited documentation.

JohnS

Thanks, everyone.

If it's changing a phase then a 'scope, data sheets and some work ought to reveal it.

Or just set it and when it works move on :)

John (who doesn't even own the LCD or have the skills to use the 'scope if I did!)

dave-at-axon

I'd like to check what is does so I plan to hook up a logic analyser when I get a little time to play with it and then try the different settings.

I just tried out a Newhaven 7" LCD today and although it did display without any timing changes, there is a little bit of an issue that I think can be sorted though timing changes.