SATA drive Mounted; No File Manage Icon

Started by DonaldCorr, October 10, 2014, 02:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaldCorr

I am a newbie to Linux and the A20. I have learned a lot on my own but I have run into a problem I cannot solve. I have not found anything on the Internet about a similar problem. I am running Linux 3.4.67+.  I have a Western Digital SATA drive.  When it is mounted in /media/WDC (I have a USB drive mounted at /media/USB and it works fine) there is not an Icon for the drive shown in File Manager.  The drive shows in the Directory Tree; it is listed in fdisk -l; it is listed in mount. I can make directories and list them.  I can make any king of permission I want. I can mount the drive manually and unmount manually. Gparted shows the partition and the file systme as ext4 as does fdisk -l.  All this can be doe on the console.
When the drive is not mounted, the File Manager has an Icon that shows the drive and indcates the drive is not mounted. Fdisk -l and mount commands show the drive as not mounted so everything looks good so far as not having the drive unmounted.
The bottom line is when the drive is mounted, the drive's Icon in File Manager disappears and I cannot read or write data to it. When the drive is not mounted, the Icon in File Manage is there and it indicates it is not mounted. As soon as I mount the drive, the Icon disappears.
I do not kow how to post code.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Don

JohnS

Maybe to do with its permissions.  Check them (may need -d on ls) and also /etc/fstab with care.

John

DonaldCorr

DonaldCorr

JohnS
I have resolved the problem! In short, the problem has to do with partitioning and formatting the USB and SATA drives and the way they are handled during shutdown. I had used gparted to do the partitioning and file system generation.  This seems to be the problem.  Along the way, I crashed my image and spent a whole day and much trial and error getting the image to boot properly. Since there seems to be a lot of confusion among newbies on the forum, I think that will be the subject of another post.  Anyway, I partitioned the drives with fdisk, rebooted and wrote the file systems with mkfs.ext4.  Now I can mount the drives manually and everything works out fine.  I can read the data no problem.  It is mandatory to manually unmount the drives before shutting down as shutting down without unmounting corrupts the file systems on the drives and this creates the problem I experienced.
Thanks so much for your help,
DonaldCorr