Reading a bootable SD from Android

Started by ehj666, January 14, 2013, 06:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehj666

I asked this question deep in another thread, so am giving it a thread of its own.

I am having trouble getting debian to boot from an SD. I noticed that I get a SD Damaged error anytime I insert an SD when running Android. Should you be able to read a bootable Debian SD from Android on the Olinuxino?

Note: All three SDs I have tried can be read by Windows and Linux on a PC and by an Android tablet. Only the Olinuxino (A13-Olinuxino-wifi in my case) cannot read it. The brands I have tried are PNY and Transcend.

JohnS

It looks like the bootable Linux SD cards have two Linux (type 83) partitions so I don't think Android will immediately read them.  I think Android expects FAT32 (maybe FAT16 as well) partitions, as Windows uses.

I hope someone will confirm/correct me!

John

ehj666

I thought that might be the case, except I can read the SDs just fine in my android tablet. I also have a 32GB SD I use to backup my tablet, which should therefore be FAT32, and I cannot read it in the Olinuxino either.

LubOlimex

Hey ehj666,

This seems like a hardware problem to me. It might be related to the connector of the SD card. The best option would be to return the board for repair. The general return policy applies:

Warranty and returns:

Our boards have lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects and components.

During the development work it is not unlikely that you can burn your programmer or development board. This is normal, we also do development work and we had damaged a lot of programmers and a lot of boards during our daily job so we know how it works. If our board/programmer has worked fine then stopped, please check if you didn't apply over voltage by mistake, or shorted something in your target board where the programmer was connected etc. Sometimes boards may be damaged by ESD shock voltage or if you spill coffee on them during your work when they are powered.

Please note that the warranty does not cover problems caused by improper use, short-circuiting, over-voltages, ESD shock etc.

If the board have warranty label it should be not broken. Broken labels void the warranty, same apply on boards with intervention by customer like additional components soldered or removed components, such boards will be not subject of our warranty.

If you are positive that the problem is due to manufacturing defect or component you can return the board back to us for inspection. When we receive the board we will check and if the problem is by us we will repair/replace free of charge, otherwise we can quote on the repair cost.

Note that all shipping back and forth is to be covered by the customer.

Before you ship anything back you need to ask for RMA.

When you ship back please attach to it your shipping address, phone, e-mail, RMA# and a brief description of the problem. All boards should be sent back in antistatic package and should be well-packed to prevent damage during transportation.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

ehj666

It is in the works. I ordered a second Olinuxino and they (Digikey) had one A13-Olinuxino-SD in stock, so I ordered that too. It should arrive Friday. I also have the RMA paper work, so if running them side by side shows that the first one was defective, I will return it.

Thanks