12V instead of 5V

Started by NachoV, February 18, 2021, 05:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NachoV

Hello

Hypothetically, if grabbed the wrong power adapter and applied 12V instead of 5V, just how bad is that? If after mistake not detected burn marks, is there any chance the chip is working?
Thanks... 

LubOlimex

How long was it applied? If it was for more than a couple of seconds, some hardware damage is expected. The main chip is probably operational but parts of the powering circuit would need to be replaced.

Refer to the schematic and follow the path of power - starting from the power jack and moving towards the regulators.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

NachoV

Quote from: LubOlimex on February 19, 2021, 09:13:39 AMHow long was it applied? If it was for more than a couple of seconds, some router setup hardware damage is expected. The main chip is probably operational but parts of the powering circuit would need to be replaced.

Refer to the schematic and follow the path of power - starting from the power jack and moving towards the regulators.

about 10-15 seconds.I will try to check consistently, but judging by your answer, problems are inevitable :)
Thanks

LubOlimex

Do you have RT5350F-OLinuXino-EVB?

NachoV

vtsvetkov

When I did this exact same thing, it damaged the voltage regulator. After replacing it the board worked as before.

NachoV

Quote from: vtsvetkov on February 20, 2021, 05:13:50 PMWhen I did this exact same thing, it damaged the voltage regulator. After replacing it the board worked as before.

checked already - the same thing, the voltage regulator does not work :)
Thanks

LubOlimex

So you identified the faulty component? Let us know if it works when you replace it.