HELP!! Beginner - building Android and Linux on development board from scratch

Started by xhyperamp, November 11, 2013, 03:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xhyperamp

I am looking into being able to compile and build linux or android operating systems on any hardware of my choosing.

The next phase will be learning how to program GIO ports to do serveral tasks.

I essentially want to make a infared blaster which sends commands over a WEB GUI Remote. This has been done with raspberry pi home automation. I essentially want to do the same thing but have a more flexible and powerful device.

Later I want to port Plex and XBMC to run perfectly on the A20 or on the A31(Soon to come)

So now this is where I want to start. How can you guys help me. I did some googling but cannot find much information or tutorials on these Olimex A20 or A13 devices. I want to learn how to write kernels for any hardware I have sitting around etc.

Please help me get this information I have little knowledge and need to follow and copy some other peoples projects until I pick all this up. Currently I only have ESXi, Networking, Server and some basic linux hackng skills.

I appreciate any help. Thanks

Lurch

The learning curve would be pretty steep if you start with Axx. 
I would suggest you get a RPi to start with, since it has a much larger community that can help with beginners problems.  There are also many more examples and videos. 
Once you have mastered that, can move to other boards/chips that have less support.

xhyperamp

Sure, I will get a Raspberry Pi. Thanks

But I would really love to be able to learn how to program Android or Linux on one of these boards from scratch.

I find these more powerful, open and feature rich compared to the Raspberry Pi.

There is a large amount to learn I know. But I will take it in bit by bit.

I have a Android 4.0 ARM Cortex A9 1GHz WiFi HD 1080P with board rev(c03ref). Here is an example of files that are flashed on device when put on a sdcard http://www.mediafire.com/download/ozc9at35qdo6c90/20120826_Android_ICS-ATV-108-c03ref.zip

This Android rom is completely unstable and slow. Rebuilding a new rom from scratch would be a great benefit. This is an example of things I would like to have the skills to do.

But if there is any information out there on the internet it would be much appeicated if I was pointed into the right direction.