March 28, 2024, 03:21:47 PM

USB mounting position

Started by catotonic, June 29, 2021, 05:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catotonic

I am a small manufacturer. Rather than designing a board with individual components I can save a lot of time and assembly cost by using a ESP32 development board. I was looking at the Olimex ESP32 LiPo development boards for my products. The problem is that I need to put my design into an enclosure.  Because the USB on the Olimex Lipo board is set back there is a chance that a USP cable will not be able to make a connection thru a plastic enclosure.  So I have to mount my own USB connector on my motherboard to allow a USB cable to connect.
To allow Olimex a better chance to be used as an OEM part in a larger design, they might want to consider mounting the USB closer to the edge or even with a slight over hang. For me, this issue is also a problem for the Gateway.
Thanks

LubOlimex

Thank you for the feedback. I understand the issue and the suggestion but we can't do that. It would make the micro USB port connector easier to damage and prone to bending. It is quite a fragile connector as it is, without sticking out. Furthermore, it would lead to compatibility issues with customers that had already implemented these boards in their designs.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex