A13 Dual Display

Started by rmunoz, March 05, 2013, 01:23:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmunoz

Hi all

Sorry if my question seems too naive, but I have been reviewing the A13-OLinuXino and it seems perfect for a project I am starting except for one thing: I need to be able to manage two displays (different content not a mirror one from the other).

So my question is, is there any way to manage both the LCD and the VGA output at the same time with the A13?

regards and thanks in advance,
Rafael Muñoz

JohnS

I think no chance.  You'd need a separate video board and a driver for it, etc.

(Look at the schematic to see why if you like.)

John

klotzmando

The VGA output is just the same RGB signals sent to the LCD, but through a Digital to analog converter. That is why you not only can't have two different displays at the same time, you can't even have both the LCD and the VGA at the same time. The refresh rates are different for the LCD and the VGA and they share the same source.
I had to figure that out to find the solder bridge on the video that I encountered on my board when it came.
BTW: If you have trouble following the schematic let me know and I will talk you through it.

rmunoz

Oh, that's too bad. I really like the A13 and all its ecosystem. I guess I will have to look for others motherboards/chips ... any suggestion?

And thanks a lot for your quick and knowledgeable answers!

umtuga

Probably you'll find a dual video solution too expensive and the Olinuxino boards are quite inexpensive.
Why don't you use an USB type video controller like Displaylink?
You have it on Mimo 7" USB displays, UM710/720 I think.
I've seen some distros with displaylink drivers.

Greetings from Portugal

rmunoz

That can work ... the idea is to have a touch LCD as a controller and to display some stuff on a big monitor or projector. So, maybe I can use any of the USB to VGA adapters you mention? (http://www.displaylink.com/shop/adapters) Anyone has tried them?

Another maybe less expensive option would be to have 2 Olinuxino boards networked, the second one just controlling the VGA output. Do you think that can work?

regards and thanks for yours answers,
Rafael Muñoz

JohnS