diagnosing A20 OLinuXino Lime2 lock-ups?

Started by RileyDylan, January 04, 2021, 10:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RileyDylan

I have an A20 OLinuXino Lime2 bought via Freedombox, as per:
Subsequently I've installed NextCloudPi (an Armbian derivative) on it. (Versions below)

It works fairly well overall, although it struggles a bit and Nextcloud isn't very responsive. I've added an external 2.5 inch hard drive, on SATA, powered via the connector on the board. (This isn't solid state.)omegle xender

The big problem I have is that it regularly freezes. This is typically not accompanied by any error messages, either in the logs (dmesg, kern.log, syslog etc.) or on the console.  The console just shows the log-in prompt, but the display is frozen, there is no keyboard response or networking etc.

The power supply it came with was only a 1A supply, which I understand is low if there's a hard disk attached. Therefore I bought a 5V 3A power supply.

However, a month or so later, this has not solved the problem. For now I have the system shut itself down each night and a timed supply power-cycles it shortly after, rebooting it. Despite this, sometimes the system freezes after a few hours of running, with no pattern I can see.

I've used armbianmonitor to try and check for low voltages watching via a remote ssh connection - I don't have the logs to hand but they didn't seem to drop below 5V before a crash. The CPU temperatures likewise didn't seem to spike.

So I'm looking for ways to positively identify the cause. Can anyone suggest a good approach?

Thanks!

olimex

Hi

Please download our official images from images.olimex.com and do test the board.
Armbian distributions are known for not having proper RAM settings and this cause the freezes, it's have been discussed lot of times. This is why we made our own images to be sure that everything works fine.

Best regards
Tsvetan