PIC32 pinguino not recognized (windows 7/64b)

Started by GastonLagaffe, September 09, 2014, 12:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GastonLagaffe

Salut,
I have a brand new PIC32 pinguino and it is not recognized by windows7. When started in bootloader mode (BOT pressed on connect), the device is seen as a HID device. I can assign the libusb-win32 device driver to it but it does not get a USB port assigned. It is therefore not visible to MPIDE and not recognized by pinguino IDE. Has someone a clue on how to setup this board with windows 7/64bit?
Unfortunately Olimex does not give any support ...
Ciao, Mathias

JohnS

Doing what you posted runs the program You put in the user flash.  If Your program doesn't use USB then what you get is correct.

What you describe is what is to be expected.  I don't see what support you expect for your own code!

Did you mean you press BOTH buttons and release BOOT first?

John

GastonLagaffe

Salut,

I probably did not state my issue clearly: I woudl like to program the board and use mpide. As the board is not recognized by windows 7 I get no port assigned and therefore cannot program the board.
I press the BUT button while inserting the usb cable and the board blinks green and yellow alternating
Perhaps I am overlooking the obvious but the device is not seen in mpide

Plugging in the board without pressing a button does not add a device to the device manager.
Ciao, Mathias

JohnS

MPIDE needs a PICkit3 or similar.

Pinguino can program the board without a PICkit3.  So can tools like mphidflash, so you could use that with MPIDE if you know what you're doing.  It would not be in the IDE as it's a command-line tool.

John

GastonLagaffe

Salut,

now I am bit confused: MPIDE never needed a PICkit3 when I programmed chipKit boards and MPIDE does not offer PICkit3 as programmer. The description from Olimex explicitly refers to the serial port. (https://www.olimex.com/wiki/MPIDE)
PICkit3 is used with MPLAB. I also do not spot the connectors for PICkit3 on the PIC32 pinguino board.

Ciao, Mathias

JohnS

Oh, sorry, I thought you meant Microchip's MP something (MPLAB?)

No idea about chipkit, ask them...  Do they even support Olimex boards?  Again, ask them...

John

GastonLagaffe

Salut,

Olimex iteself refers to the MPIDE that supports Olimex and chipkit. But there is still the problem that this board does not get a serial port assigned under windows. This happens before I even start the/any IDE in the device manager.

Ciao, Mathias

JohnS

I don't see why you think it would get a serial port.  It's not needed to program it.  The bootloader gets a new program over USB but not any kind of serial port (not CDC or anything).

If you expect a serial port then that is the mistake.  There isn't one because none is needed.

John

GastonLagaffe

Salut,

maybe I am a bit slow... so how do I program this board under windows?
Using MPIDE, the upload asks for a serial port (sorry, not my idea)
Using pinguino, the device is not recognized as well, the upload button stays inactive. (btw: needs to install the 32bit compiler and libraries by hand as the default installs only 8bit compilers)

I am happy to take whatever IDE is needed to program that board, just point me to the source.

Ciao, Mathias

JohnS

The older Pinguino install for Windows worked, I believe.  Someone broke it (it's a beta, actually) I think, judging by forum posts.

The board in bootloader mode is a USB device that is directly usable with no extra drivers and can be programmed that way.  You can use any tool that does that but I don't know if that includes MPIDE.  (Ask them, if you want to know.)

I would just use an older Pinguino IDE.  Plug board in, press buttons for bootloader and for me it all works but I'm not on Windows.  With a working install (not the beta) it works for others on Windows.

It's very easy and fast.

Someone on Pinguino team needs to DELETE the beta because it causes problems like yours.

John

GastonLagaffe

Salut,

removed IDE 11.x, installed 10.4/rev999, applied bugfixes of rev1003
removed device driver for "USB HID Bootloader"
removed device and reloaded: now "USB Input Device"
uploaded blink example to P32pinguino - OK!

Thanks for your patience, Mathias

JohnS